Borland's cash cow

I don't know if anyone has noticed what Borland is doing to Delphi
users compared to their C++ users, but to me it seams quite evident.
Take a look at C++ vs Delphi and notice the list of software included
in with C. A good examples is the resource editor. What you will see
soon is a package of additional software for Delphi, similar to the
RAD pack for 1.0, that WILL include a resource editor among other
things. This software should have been supplied with 2.0!

The point here is that Borland is including a lots more for the C
users than they are for their Delphi users because there is more
competition with C than there is Delphi. So, once again we come up on
the short end of the stick or should we say more of our money in their
pockets.

My relationship with Borland is a love hate relationship. God help
them if anyone ever enters the market with a marketing plan like they
used to have. They are so blind when it comes to all the financial
troubles that they have. When they go back to a first class product
with first class support, all their troubles will disappear. I will
not have to hear "ASSUME THE POSITION"  anymore either.

Not!

Frank

Re:Borland's cash cow

fn...@colossus.org (Frank R. Neal) writes:

>I don't know if anyone has noticed what Borland is doing to Delphi
>users compared to their C++ users, but to me it seams quite evident.
>Take a look at C++ vs Delphi and notice the list of software included
>in with C. A good examples is the resource editor. What you will see
>soon is a package of additional software for Delphi, similar to the
>RAD pack for 1.0, that WILL include a resource editor among other
>things. This software should have been supplied with 2.0!

Sorry? The resource editor? I'd certainly hate to be trying to write
Windoze C code without it. You can't design dialogue boxes without it for
a start. For resources like string tables you can just edit a resource
script. Menus, icons and bitmaps can be built entirely within the Delphi
environment. What's the big deal?

>The point here is that Borland is including a lots more for the C
>users than they are for their Delphi users because there is more
>competition with C than there is Delphi. So, once again we come up on
>the short end of the stick or should we say more of our money in their
>pockets.

More likely they didn't see the need to ship the resource workshop with
Delphi. I have a copy, but I've never used it with Delphi.

>My relationship with Borland is a love hate relationship. God help
>them if anyone ever enters the market with a marketing plan like they
>used to have. They are so blind when it comes to all the financial
>troubles that they have. When they go back to a first class product
>with first class support, all their troubles will disappear. I will
>not have to hear "ASSUME THE POSITION"  anymore either.

Weird. I think the Borland pricing is still brilliant for what they
provide. My first Borland purchase was Turbo C version 1, at AUS$99. I
can now buy Delphi Desktop for something like AUS$350 <?>. That's 500
times the product for 3.5 times the price! As for support, that seems to
be an outmoded concept, as you might expect when products are priced so
low. How much support could they afford to provide when the base product
is priced so low?

--
Luke Webber

* Note: The opinions expressed by Luke Webber are in no way supported *
*       by his employers, Luke Webber Consulting Services             *

Re:Borland's cash cow

Frank Han wrote:
> Frank R. Neal wrote:
> I think you are right about your cash cow theory.

A 'cash cow' in marketing terms is an older, high
market share product that continues to bring in profits
despite little investment from the company.  In the
Boston Consulting Group model (where the term originated)
a cash cow is a high market share product in a low
growth market.  Neither applies here. Deciding
how to price a new product is a different issue.
Usually there's a balance between
getting market share(lower price) and
getting a return on investment(higher price).
Given how few truly RAD languages there are right
now for Win95, I would say Delphi2 is LOW priced
to gain market share.  I expected it to be a lot more.

-Joe

--
Joe Hendricks________________TH Associates
http://www.harbornet.com/tha/thaindex.html

Re:Borland's cash cow

> The point here is that Borland is including a lots more for the C
> users than they are for their Delphi users because there is more

The solution is simple,  Upgrade to Borland C++ 5.0.  I did.  Works for
me!  Limiting one's programming to a single language is very
restrictive.  Being restricted to a single language is like owning just
a hammer.  Everything you look at begins to look like a nail! :-)

Fred
---
 t SRP 2.00 #1203 t Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.

Re:Borland's cash cow

>now for Win95, I would say Delphi2 is LOW priced

  >to gain market share.  I expected it to be a lot more.

Er, ah, I would suggest not wasting your time with logical thought on
this issue.  Other than the instructional aspects of your preceptive
post.  I feel on one hand you are preaching to the choir, and the others
don't have enough experience to judge the value of a tool:-(

Fred
---
 t SRP 2.00 #1203 t None of you exist; my Sysop types all this in!

Other Threads