Writing OS in PASCAL.

Hi!
Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

M?rten Svanfeldt
m_svanfe...@geocities.com
s{*word*55}nit.svanfe...@atvidaberg.mail.telia.com

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

fam. Svanfeldt. wrote:
> =
> Hi!
> Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
> And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
why not just make one in ASM?

lith=BF

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

>> Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
>> And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?
>I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
>it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

I've heard of OS' made at Universities and stuff in B(T)P.

>Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
>why not just make one in ASM?

Have fun! DOS version 1 was 40,000 lines of ASM.

--
This message is shareware, and you are entitled to read it for up to 30
seconds. After those 30 seconds, you must register it by posting a reply.

Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join in the fun!

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Lithron wrote:
> Date: Mon, 19 MAY 1997 15:09:32 -0400
> From: Lithron <lith...@bellsouth.net>
> Newgroups: comp.lang.pascal.borland, comp.lang.pascal.misc, comp.os.misc,
>     swnet.sys.ibm.pc
> Subject: Re: Writing OS in PASCAL.

> fam. Svanfeldt. wrote:

> > Hi!
> > Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
> > And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

> I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
> it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

> Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
> why not just make one in ASM?

Hur skulle det kunna vara olagligt?
Later ganska underligt...

/Daniel

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

Lithron <lith...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>fam. Svanfeldt. wrote:
>> =

>> Hi!
>> Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
>> And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

>I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
>it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

>Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
>why not just make one in ASM?

Nobody would nowadays program a project of this size entirely in ASM. The
effort to maintain such a program (or group of programs) would be to
great. Such programs are written in high level languages, with some ASM
thrown in for direct hardware access or in performance critical routines.
TP from version 6 onward could do this easily because of the build in
assembler, BP could even generate 32 bit OSs. At least one command
interpreter, 4DOS, is in fact programmed mostly in TP (and boy would I
love to see their source!).

Most OS today are programmed in C, so if you want to look at examples,
you have to learn this language. Linux would be an obvious place to start
looking, as the complete source code is available.

As to the leagal side I can not see a problem. The only thing Borland
does not allow you to do are programs that are in direct competition to
their stuff (Pascal compilers for example). They don't do OSs, so there
is no competition.

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

"Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk> (if that's who you really are) wrote:

>Nobody would nowadays program a project of this size entirely in ASM. The
>effort to maintain such a program (or group of programs) would be to

I guess somebody should have told Jochen Liedtke that before he wrote L4 ;-)
(although as a microkernel, it is technically not a complete operating system...)

ldb

--
---

Preserve wildlife.
Pickle a squirrel today.

---
/===================================================================\
|........Go!........               Larry D. Barchett                |
|....NNN.....NNN.... Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
|.....N.N.....N ....            University of Notre Dame            |
|..DDDDDDNDDDDDDD...           Notre Dame, IN 46556-5637            |
|...D.N...N...N..D..                                                |
|..DDDDDDDDNDDDDD... Internet: l...@cse.nd.edu                       |
|.....N.....N N.....                                                |
|....NNN.....NNN.... Phone: 219-631-5772                            |
|.......IRISH....... WWW: http://www.cse.nd.edu/~dcrlab/ldb         |
\===================================================================/

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

dortmund, stardate 9357.08,

 l> > Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
 l> > And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?
 l>
 l> I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
 l> it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

why should it be illegal?

-+- Let Joy and Innocence Prevail
## CrossPoint v3.11 ##

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

Lithron wrote:

> fam. Svanfeldt. wrote:

> > Hi!
> > Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
> > And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

> I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
> it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

> Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
> why not just make one in ASM?

> lith?

Why should he use assembler? Nowdays we use highlevel languages like
C/C++ even when writing OS, so I can not se any problems here,
of couse he can use Pascal. But sometimes a assembler rutine can speed
up thing really much. But if you can live with that, go a head use
Pascal.

Magnus

 ------                                                 ------
--  If [DELETE_THIS] is found in my mail adress, just do it! --
 ------                                                 ------

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

fam. Svanfeldt. (s{*word*55}nit.svanfe...@atvidaberg.mail.telia.com) wrote:

: Hi!
: Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
: And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

If the question is whether Pascal has enough capabilities to be used
as an OS language then the answer is yes.  After all, the first version
of the Chorus microkernal was written in Pascal.

--smudge

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

ae...@pgfn.bc.ca (Eric Thompson) once said:

>>> Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
>>> And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

>>I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
>>it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

>I've heard of OS' made at Universities and stuff in B(T)P.

>>Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
>>why not just make one in ASM?

>Have fun! DOS version 1 was 40,000 lines of ASM.

Actually I think the term "just make" cant be applied to making an OS at all :)

 Kim Robert Blix  ( kb...@sn.no  &  http://home.sn.no/~kblix )

 "How do you shoot the devil in the back?"
 "What if you miss?" -Verbal Kint

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

Magnus Myhrberg wrote:

> Lithron wrote:

> > fam. Svanfeldt. wrote:

> > > Hi!
> > > Is it posible to write OS in Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0 ?
> > > And could I use RAWRITE to write it to a bootdisk?

> > I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
> > it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

> > Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
> > why not just make one in ASM?

> > lith?

> Why should he use assembler? Nowdays we use highlevel languages like
> C/C++ even when writing OS, so I can not se any problems here,
> of couse he can use Pascal. But sometimes a assembler rutine can speed
> up thing really much. But if you can live with that, go a head use
> Pascal.

> Magnus

>  ------                                                 ------
> --  If [DELETE_THIS] is found in my mail adress, just do it! --
>  ------                                                 ------

Hello, your idea of an OS in pascal sounds impressive, about how many
lines of code would this take?

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

Slpo...@Concentric.Net allegedly said:

S> >>Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
S> >>why not just make one in ASM?
S> >
S> >Nobody would nowadays program a project of this size entirely in ASM. The
S> >effort to maintain such a program (or group of programs) would be to
S> >great. Such programs are written in high level languages, with some ASM
S> >thrown in for direct hardware access or in performance critical routines.
S> >TP from version 6 onward could do this easily because of the build in
S> >assembler, BP could even generate 32 bit OSs. At least one command
S> >interpreter, 4DOS, is in fact programmed mostly in TP (and boy would I
S> >love to see their source!).
S>
S> I **LOVE** 4DOS and have used it for years (almost as long as I've had
S> a PC).  Even so, I had no idea that it was written in TP, how did you
S> find that out?  Do you know if InCommand (their Windows command line
S> processor) is written in TPW/BPW?  How about 4OS2?  I wonder if JP
S> Software would be willing to at least offer advice on large projects
S> or difficult system access issues, into which they MUST have a great
S> deal of insight.

4DOS is _not_ written in Turbo Pascal; it's written in C and assembler.
However, the 4HELP system IS written using Turbo Pascal.

--
| Disclaimer: The views of this user do not represent those of
|             Dusk To Dawn BBS, DuskNet, or Elvis.
| Email: Jeff.Teunis...@d2d.dusknet.dyn.ml.org
| From Dusk To Dawn BBS, Home of DuskNet -=- d2d.dusknet.dyn.ml.org

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

: > I'm not an expert on this, but I believe that even if it was possible,
: > it would be illegal by way of Borlands legal agreement with you.

Borland's No-Nonsense License doesn't say that you can't. In fact it says
that you may sell any app you create (in non-source form). While there
could be a technical argument that an OS is not an app, Borland's license
has always been pretty straight forward. If you write it, you may do
pretty much what you want with it w/o royalties.

: Why should he use assembler? Nowdays we use highlevel languages like
: C/C++ even when writing OS, so I can not se any problems here,

Although an OS would be tighest in asm, it would also be the least
portable and the hardest to debug. OS's are often written in an HLL
nowadays, and Modula-2 is a "child of Pascal" that was intended for system
work since it supports a type of multitasking called coprocessing. C was
the OS language for unix. HLL's are good for this kind of work (but not
every HLL -- you need some pretty low level hooks).

Assembler is best used by most people as a strategic tool for time
critical portions of code. Remember the 80-20 rule ...

David Firth              N8PTK ! 52 45 41 4C 43 4F 4D 50 55 54 45
                               ! 52 53 48 41 56 45 4F 4E 4C 59 38
djfi...@freenet.columbus.oh.us ! 42 49 54 53 4D 45 43 38 32 30 31

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

We've written on OS in Modula-3, which is a successor of Pascal.
Modula-3 supports threads, garbage collection, open arrays, and
just about whatever you need.  A few things were implemented in
assembler (entry to trap handling, atomic enqueue/dequeue operations,
etc.).

I think that Pascal probably is a decent language to program an OS
in.  However, I suggest that you look at Modula-3 instead.  You can
get a very good free Modula-3 compiler from DEC SRC.  Check it out:
http://www.research.digital.com:80/SRC/modula-3/html/

You can also get a commercial version of Modula-3 from Critical Mass.
http://www.cmass.com
try the evaluation copy of it.  Both the DEC SRC and the Critical Mass
compilers work on Linux, hp/ux, windows NT 3.5.1, 4.0, and windows 95.
Many other platforms are supported, as well.

You can find out more about our operating system from
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/spin/www/index.html

Ciao,

Marc

Re:Writing OS in PASCAL.

On 20 May 1997 14:25:15 GMT, "Dr E. Buxbaum" <E...@le.ac.uk> wrote:

[deletia]

>>Also, Assuming you know enough programming to make an OS in pascal,
>>why not just make one in ASM?

>Nobody would nowadays program a project of this size entirely in ASM. The
>effort to maintain such a program (or group of programs) would be to
>great. Such programs are written in high level languages, with some ASM
>thrown in for direct hardware access or in performance critical routines.
>TP from version 6 onward could do this easily because of the build in
>assembler, BP could even generate 32 bit OSs. At least one command
>interpreter, 4DOS, is in fact programmed mostly in TP (and boy would I
>love to see their source!).

I **LOVE** 4DOS and have used it for years (almost as long as I've had
a PC).  Even so, I had no idea that it was written in TP, how did you
find that out?  Do you know if InCommand (their Windows command line
processor) is written in TPW/BPW?  How about 4OS2?  I wonder if JP
Software would be willing to at least offer advice on large projects
or difficult system access issues, into which they MUST have a great
deal of insight.

[deletia mas]

Learn something new every day!

Regards,

Stephen Posey
slpo...@concentric.net

Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16]

Other Threads