outlook and Outlook express

Hello,

I wanna build a program that will setup a user account for Outlook and Outlook Express.
The catch is that the server (SMTP, POP and/or IMAP) will be stored inside the EXE or
will be downloaded from the net.
My wizard should ask for the user name and password, then I must create the account
using one of the predefined SMTP, POP and/or IMAP addresses.

How can I create an account in Outlook and Outlook express?
Is there a way to specify rules too?

I will use Delphi 7, and I believe the program will have to deal with outlook 2000/XP
and OutlookExpress 2000/XP.
Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Clment

Re:outlook and Outlook express

The only API exposed by Outlook Express is Simple MAPI which does not allow
you to do anything with accounts.
In case of the "regular" Outlook, the usual solution is to use Extended MAPi
and profiles API. IMAIL service however is not fully MAPI compliant and
cannot be configured using the regular profiles API.
In both cases your best bet is to dump the data directly to registry.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Dmitry Streblechenko wrote:
> The only API exposed by Outlook Express is Simple MAPI which does not allow
> you to do anything with accounts.
> In case of the "regular" Outlook, the usual solution is to use Extended MAPi
> and profiles API. IMAIL service however is not fully MAPI compliant and
> cannot be configured using the regular profiles API.
> In both cases your best bet is to dump the data directly to registry.

And how about the password?
Is there a way to know how it is encrypted?

Is there any MS article explaining this topic? (I didn't find any)

TIA,
Clment

Re:outlook and Outlook express

AFAIK the password is also stored in the registry encrypted in some way. The
encryption is probably not too hard to break, that's propbably one of the
reasons the API has never been documented.

> Dmitry Streblechenko wrote:
> > The only API exposed by Outlook Express is Simple MAPI which does not
allow
> > you to do anything with accounts.
> > In case of the "regular" Outlook, the usual solution is to use Extended
MAPi
> > and profiles API. IMAIL service however is not fully MAPI compliant and
> > cannot be configured using the regular profiles API.
> > In both cases your best bet is to dump the data directly to registry.

> And how about the password?
> Is there a way to know how it is encrypted?

> Is there any MS article explaining this topic? (I didn't find any)

> TIA,
> Clment

Re:outlook and Outlook express

So, there is not a way to control Outlook Express with automation?
I have to control a "new message" window, droping dynamic text on it based
in the user interaction... how can i do that?
and after that, i want my application to save the message as a eml file and
close the window.

--
Diego Rodriguez
Departamento de Desarrollo

> Hello,

> I wanna build a program that will setup a user account for Outlook and
Outlook Express.
> The catch is that the server (SMTP, POP and/or IMAP) will be stored inside
the EXE or
> will be downloaded from the net.
> My wizard should ask for the user name and password, then I must create
the account
> using one of the predefined SMTP, POP and/or IMAP addresses.

> How can I create an account in Outlook and Outlook express?
> Is there a way to specify rules too?

> I will use Delphi 7, and I believe the program will have to deal with
outlook 2000/XP
> and OutlookExpress 2000/XP.
> Any thoughts?

> Best regards,
> Clment

Re:outlook and Outlook express

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:21:10 -0300, "Diego Rodriguez"

<die...@dpsautomation.com> wrote:
>So, there is not a way to control Outlook Express with automation?

No.

>I have to control a "new message" window, droping dynamic text on it based
>in the user interaction... how can i do that?

You can call ShellExecute, specifying a "mailto:" command line. Search
the newsgroups for "ShellExecute" and "mailto".

>and after that, i want my application to save the message as a eml file and
>close the window.

No way to do that in Outlook Express.

---
Yorai Aminov (TeamB)
http://develop.shorterpath.com/yorai

Re:outlook and Outlook express

> >I have to control a "new message" window, droping dynamic text on it
based
> >in the user interaction... how can i do that?

> You can call ShellExecute, specifying a "mailto:" command line. Search
> the newsgroups for "ShellExecute" and "mailto".

Oh, i know about ShellExecute and mailto:// protocol, but i need to let the
user compose the message and insert certain tags pushing some buttons in my
application. Now i'm trying to use a Word window as email editor and then
save it to a .mht format so i can read it.

thanks for your help

Diego

Re:outlook and Outlook express

In article <3f01f...@newsgroups.borland.com>, die...@dpsautomation.com says...

> > >I have to control a "new message" window, droping dynamic text on it
> based
> > >in the user interaction... how can i do that?

> > You can call ShellExecute, specifying a "mailto:" command line. Search
> > the newsgroups for "ShellExecute" and "mailto".

> Oh, i know about ShellExecute and mailto:// protocol, but i need to let the
> user compose the message and insert certain tags pushing some buttons in my
> application. Now i'm trying to use a Word window as email editor and then
> save it to a .mht format so i can read it.

About the only way to do that would be to EnumWindows and find the NewMessage
Widnow and then WM_SETTEXT to the message window, which is, BTW, an Internet
Explorer_Server class, hint, TWebBrowser...

Other Threads