How use new types in MSSQL 7.0 ?

Acually it is the MS DBLIB that does not support these new types.  MS decided
not to update their dll for MS SQL 7.0 and therefor the BDE native link can not
support features since it goes through that dll (which MS has touted as the best
way to use MS SQL until 7.0).  To get access to the new data types either use
ODBC or the OLE DB Provider in conjunction with ADO.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
The bond that links your true family is not one of {*word*76}, but of respect and joy

Re:How use new types in MSSQL 7.0 ?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:38:42 +0300, "Alik" <iamal...@mtu-net.ru> wrote:
>BDE doesn't support new data types (like "uniqueidentifier") in MSSQL 7.0. I
>can work with these data fields throught conversion (like
>"convert(varchar(255), uid))"), but I can't use live-connection
>(live-query). Is there any other way to do it (work with these fields
>directly) ?

The only way that MS supports the new field type information is via ADO.
Since the MS provided dblib does not support these data types,  the BDE and
SQL Links can not support them.

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Borland's TeamB

Re:How use new types in MSSQL 7.0 ?

Hi All,
I am using BCB 4 and have this problem:

BDE doesn't support new data types (like "uniqueidentifier") in MSSQL 7.0. I
can work with these data fields throught conversion (like
"convert(varchar(255), uid))"), but I can't use live-connection
(live-query). Is there any other way to do it (work with these fields
directly) ?

Thanks,
Alik

iamal...@newmail.ru

Re:How use new types in MSSQL 7.0 ?

    Thanks for all.

Sorry for stupid question, but what is ADO and where can I get information
about it ?

And one et: if it's Microsoft's plugin (or DLL) how can I use it with
CBuilder - throught BDE alias or something else ?

Alik.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:23:02 +0300, "Alik" <iamal...@newmail.ru> wrote:
>Sorry for stupid question, but what is ADO and where can I get information
>about it ?

ADO is the MS "database interface du-jour.  IIRC,  it stands for
"Active(-X) Data Objects.  There should be some information about it in the
MDAC SDK and its associated docs...

>And one et: if it's Microsoft's plugin (or DLL) how can I use it with
>CBuilder - throught BDE alias or something else ?

This is the one I can not help too much with .  I have not really used ADO
myself,  but since it uses Active-X,  you should be able to add it to your
project like any other Acive-X object.  I have seen (and played with a
little) the new ADO Data Sets in Delphi v5,  so we can hope then appear in
the next BCB version,  but until then,  you pretty much have to do the work
yourself...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Borland's TeamB
"We'll do anything if you don't pay us."

Re:How use new types in MSSQL 7.0 ?

ADO stands for Active Data Objects and is Microsofts new way to access data.
For more information go to www.microsoft.com/data. You can download
everything you need for the Microsoft side from that site. Unfortunately,
ADO Express (the Borland interface to ADO) is only available for Delphi at
this time. The next release of CBuilder will support it.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:How use new types in MSSQL 7.0 ?

Thanks. I understood all.

Live query - it's not a critical problem, I can do everything using
UpdateSQL (because every table on server includes uid).
But new features in Delphi5 (as I understood) could increase programming
speed. So time to work and waiting for a better live with new version of CB.

Oh (who doesn't know), I saw one big joke from MicroSoft - two upgrades
(36Mb and 48Mb) for MSSQL 7.0. There are too much bugs fixed. How could this
version server work without these upgrades (my server - worked) ???

Other Threads