Old exe & $2108 Error...

I have a (very) old exe that uses paradox tables and the BDE.

Coming off a disk, I tried running it on my computer and got error $2108
(error intializing the BDE).

I have never developed with BDE, and have no idea how to tell if my BDE is
installed correctly, etc.

I do have Corel Office 8 installed which claims to have installed a BDE for
me.  Do I need to specifically install Paradox?

Can anyone offer any step-by-step instructions as to how I can try to get
this program to run?

Even if I get it to recognize my BDE, do I need to know any specific ODBC
names/etc. that might have been hard coded into the application, or will the
application and BDE figure it out on their own?

The application was (custom) written back when windows 3.1 was in its
hay-day and I cannot get any more info on it...

Thanks.

Re:Old exe & $2108 Error...

[...]

$2108 is "cannot locate IDAPI32.DLL." This suggests that either the BDE is
not installed or something is wrong with the registry entries. The best
thing to do is reinstall the BDE. I believe you can do that by doing a
custom install from the Corel 8 CD.

Bill
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Old exe & $2108 Error...

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:52:07 -0700, "Bill Todd (TeamB)" <b...@dbginc.com>
wrote:

>$2108 is "cannot locate IDAPI32.DLL." This suggests that either the BDE is
>not installed or something is wrong with the registry entries. The best
>thing to do is reinstall the BDE. I believe you can do that by doing a
>custom install from the Corel 8 CD.

Remember that Corel has a past history of *not* performing the BDE
installation properly,  which often breaks other applications which use the
BDE...  The best solution is to install the BDE as per the DEPLOY.TXT
file...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Borland's TeamB

Re:Old exe & $2108 Error...

Thank you both for trying to help me out...

Unfortunately I am even more novice than the two of you give me credit
for...

For example, I have no obvious understanding of how to re-install just the
BDE part of the Corel installation, as there is no stand alone setup for
this (or doesn't appear to be).  And within the Corel setup program, there
doesn't seem to be an explicit choice for it -- it just gets installed.  I
have tried both Corel Suite 8 and 2000.

Also, as for the deploy.txt file, this appears to be something that comes
with Dephi???? The Corel CDs do not have this file and I since I don't have
Delphi I don't know what this file says...

Do either of you have any other more basic instructions that I could try
out?

For example, I can run the database engine administrator -- is there
something in there that I can tweak? or is the problem I am having inherent
in the installation that I know not how to do?

Thanks again.

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB) wrote in message

<8PEuOBzFX1sTI7Jcaq92+Fk55...@4ax.com>...
>On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 20:52:07 -0700, "Bill Todd (TeamB)" <b...@dbginc.com>
>wrote:

>>$2108 is "cannot locate IDAPI32.DLL." This suggests that either the BDE is
>>not installed or something is wrong with the registry entries. The best
>>thing to do is reinstall the BDE. I believe you can do that by doing a
>>custom install from the Corel 8 CD.

>Remember that Corel has a past history of *not* performing the BDE
>installation properly,  which often breaks other applications which use the
>BDE...  The best solution is to install the BDE as per the DEPLOY.TXT
>file...

>Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
>--
>Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
>Proud Member of Borland's TeamB
>"We'll do anything if you don't pay us."

Re:Old exe & $2108 Error...

If the BDE Administrator will run then the 32 bit BDE used by Corel is
correctly installed. I have never encountered a problem with the way that
Corel 8 or 2000 install the BDE so I do not think that is why your app will
not run.

Is the program you are trying to run a 16 bit program or a 32 bit program?
It is possible that it is a 16 bit program and you do not have the 16 bit
BDE installed. That would explain the error message you are getting. You can
download the 16 bit BDE at http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/oldver.html

Bill
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)