BDE & Linux

Hello there,

Using D5, BDE 5.11 and PDox 7 tables.

Currently we have 6 pc's all on a Win98 peer-2-peer
network. I would like to get a Linux box in to act
as our server and internet gateway.

I know, using samba, that the Linux box can definately
act as a server for standard windows files, and I would
like to have my database files also stored on this Linux
box.

Can this be done, or does the Linux box need the BDE
as well (which, as far as I know doesn't exist.)?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-Ryan

Re:BDE & Linux

The BDE does not have to be installed on the server.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Ryan Nilsson-Harding <nils...@one.net.au> wrote in message

> Hello there,

> Using D5, BDE 5.11 and PDox 7 tables.

> Currently we have 6 pc's all on a Win98 peer-2-peer
> network. I would like to get a Linux box in to act
> as our server and internet gateway.

> I know, using samba, that the Linux box can definately
> act as a server for standard windows files, and I would
> like to have my database files also stored on this Linux
> box.

> Can this be done, or does the Linux box need the BDE
> as well (which, as far as I know doesn't exist.)?

> Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

> Regards,
> -Ryan

Re:BDE & Linux

Cool,

thats good to know, thanks.

All systems go towards a Linux server then...

Re:BDE & Linux

I seem to recall reading a message quite awhile ago where someone said that
they got Paradox tables on a Linux server to work but they had to change
some Samba settings to get the locking to work correctly. You should
probably test the record locking carefully before going into production.

--
Bill

Re:BDE & Linux

>Can this be done, or does the Linux box need the BDE
>as well (which, as far as I know doesn't exist.)?

Yes you can have the files on a linux server.  You need to use these Samba
settings.
 oplocks = false
        locking = on
        level2 locking = ON
        other lock settings are default
These settings go in the  /etc/smb.conf
--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:BDE & Linux

Excellent,

you have probably saved me a lot of frustration

thanks,

-Ryan

> Yes you can have the files on a linux server.  You need to use these Samba
> settings.
>  oplocks = false
>         locking = on
>         level2 locking = ON