Help: Field Grouping in Report-Smith 2.5

Hi, i.m using Report Smith v2.5 (the 16 bit version that come with
delphi 1.0)

I want to group the records of my report that way:

The field is EMPNUM, it contains data that looks like this:
A999

I want to trim this field so to keep just the first caracter (the
letter) and group on that calculated field.

The problem is that Report Smith doesn't allow me to use a derivated
field as a grouping field.
My field of exploration would be:
- creating a calculated field in the SQL query (not to tempting
because of consequences...)
- creating a temporary table

So, if you tough you know what to do, please tell me!

Jean-Philippe Martin
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens
jcm...@cam.org