How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

To Borland or Interbase Team
--------------------------------

Hi

I'm considering expanding my services in PR and Caribbean. And I would like
to that around interbase.
I know i can do that with Certify Version and i will, but i have small
customer that they like cheaper solutions.

and

I think is a good solution for all IB user that  worry about how to obtain
binaries and Interbase Open Source Name.

Borland, if this is possible, please send me a private Email with this
information:

1. Rights Cost
2. Rules to distributions and other that applies
3. Quantity cost form Certify Version ( i like to use with my new targets,
bigger companies)

Note :

  Right now is not my intention add a new functionality or bug fixed or OS
IB,
  my intentions is bring Services and support to others and help to
eliminate the
  ad animosity and propaganda around IB Open Source, because this cost me
many
  customers.

Any information to this request is appreciate.

----------------------------
Best Regards,
Dennis Ortiz Vives

Re:How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

Hi, this is you answer:

My Mission is help to Interbase to be profitable and keep alive and:

1. Yes, i would my services and support - if Borland accepts my request i
need to pay with money.
2. I know that companies around Open Source loose money, but:
   a. i not a big company and i like to start some how
   b. My intention is selling custom software ( like now) around interbase
and this
       software will be not free or Open Source.
   c. I am not thinking to build a Company around Open Source but this is
good resource
       like other, with advantages and disadvantages.
   d. To big companies i would use Certify Version if is possible
3. Why i change my mind again ?
    a. The first time i wrote in this newsgroup all people attacking Team B
and this is not fair, they not work for Borland
    b. Later i change my mind because i lost a possible customer with big
money because my solution use IB and when         they check Borland Site
and this newsgroup they encounter IB discussion and decide for a solution
that use MS SQL.         My initial proposal  that i made is  when certify
version is not around, but when they decide is. For them buy a
certify version is not a problem but for the similar price or less they
would acquire MS SQL with more brand  and without the controversy of be
profitable or not and open source issue.
   c. But now i understand that is easy to talk and give up. If Borland need
to be profitable with interbase and use per user licensing fine with me, i
like to be profitable too. So i need to find a solution a this problem
because i don't want to lose more customer ( change my Medical Solution and
other to there database is bad for me). If Borland don't want sell the
distribution rights of Open Source IB) i need to think in something else.
4. No. Firebird is not a solution for me. If my client denied me my solution
for a more branded companies, what you thing happen if i tell that i use
Firebird database in version number less than 1.

{ Your email is not reachable, Please send me another with a valid email and
send your name.
   i understand you, like i hope others understand me, Read the rest of the
email and help too }

To Community:

I know exist a problem with Open Source IB, but if all of use unite to find
a common solution without complains and fire to Team B or Borland, i think
we can resolve it. Maybe my solution is not the best but for now it the only
one proposed. I open to suggestion or other solutions.

PLEASE
Borland, Jason, Jeff Overcash, Craig and community
help me to find a solution that be good and profitable for all

----------------------------

In article <3ad878c6_2@dnews>, Dennis Ortiz Vives wrote:
> 1. Rights Cost

Compile the OpenSource version your self or pick up the binaries from
http://mers.com... Just don't call it interbase and there are no fees

> 2. Rules to distributions and other that applies

Don't call the binaries you distribute InterBase.

> 3. Quantity cost form Certify Version ( i like to use with my new targets,
> bigger companies)

Check out shop.borland.com for pricing.

enjoy

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Re:How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

>Compile the OpenSource version your self or pick up the binaries from
>http://mers.com... Just don't call it interbase and there are no fees

I want the right to call interbase the Open source version, this is why i
ask for cost. I have some ideas that may work if the price is viable.
I have the version of mers all ready, thanks.

Best Regards
Dennis Ortiz Vives

Re:How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

Is ilogic that i want to buy the right from borland
to use Interbase name in the Open Source Edition?

In the IPL Message in Borland Site expecify that no one can use the
Interbase name in OS Edition without a writing permision. I Borland give me
that permision for free is great, but i don't think that they do that. I
want in some manner to pay for this Writing Permision.

I have some ideas to market IB6 ( OS and SERVER Editions) and i think that
Borland has no problem if anyone pay for market their product. And in this
process i can make some good money

Thanks ind advance for the response
Best Regards

Dennis Ortiz Vives
Medical Data Solutions

Dennis Ortiz Vives wrote:

> To Borland or Interbase Team

        Borland does not monitor these newsgroups.  I recommend you contact
Borland directly if you want an answer to this.

        HTH,

        -Craig

Re:How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

> Borland does not monitor these newsgroups.  I recommend you contact
> Borland directly if you want an answer to this.

 How is the fast way to do that?

Thanks and regards

Dennis Ortiz Vives
http://www.ib-defender-of-the-crown.8m.com

You might try sending an email message to interb...@borland.com.

--
David R. Robinson
InterBase Installation Info - http://ibinstall.defined.net

Re:How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

Thanks, i allready do that
I wait for the anwser

Best Regards
Dennis Orrtiz Vives
http://www.ib-defender-of-the-crown.8m.com

Re:How can obtain the rigths of distribute IB6 open source including the OS Interbase

I appreciate Dennis' want to release his software in this manner. It is for
the same reasons that notable PC vendors place "Intel inside" and "Microsoft
Windows" stickers on their machines; e.g. for brand name recognition. It is
a selling point.