TMenu not a real menu?

I'm trying to make a Delphi 5 app compatible with screen readers like
Window-Eyes. However, WE says the main menu is not a standard control, so it
can't make sense of it. It sees the class name of the menu as "TChessForm",
which is actually the name of the main form which the menu is on.

I notice that TMenu descends from TComponent, not TWinControl, perhaps that
has something to do with it.

Is there any way in Delphi 5 to make the main menu of my app look like a
proper Windows menu so that WE can "read" it?

The funny thing is, this all seemed to work fine when I was using Delphi 2!

Rob McDonell