BDE install problem

I am trying to install 5.1.1 onto a 98SE machine using minireg.exe and it
seizes towards the end with an error that identifies kernel32.dll as the
culprit.  Is there a way to use a .reg file to push the entries into the
registry and copy the BDE files to the proper directory?

--
Christopher F. Neumann

[dBASE Charter Member]
Blue Star Visual dBASE graduate
ICCP certified TCP/IP Network Analyst
http://members.aol.com/noahcneumann

"Just{*word*154} out on the Sagittarian arm of the Milky Way"

Re:BDE install problem

In article <3bf3e02c$1_2@dnews> in newsgroup borland.public.bde on Thu,
15 Nov 2001 10:32:58 -0500, Christopher F. Neumann(cneum...@cltco.com)
said...

> I am trying to install 5.1.1 onto a 98SE machine using minireg.exe and it
> seizes towards the end with an error that identifies kernel32.dll as the
> culprit.  Is there a way to use a .reg file to push the entries into the
> registry and copy the BDE files to the proper directory?

The official installation procedures require two or three proprietary
DLLs to be used in the install process. These are supplied by Borland to
certified installer manufacturers such as IS and Wise. The installation
API is not publically documented for licensing reasons. You need to use a
certified installation product to install the BDE.

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/

   Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all
circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
    -- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
       http://www.StudyLight.org/desk/?query=1+Thessalonians+5:16-18

Re:BDE install problem

> I am trying to install 5.1.1 onto a 98SE machine using minireg.exe and it
> seizes towards the end with an error that identifies kernel32.dll as the
> culprit.  Is there a way to use a .reg file to push the entries into the
> registry and copy the BDE files to the proper directory?

Technically, yes, you can do that, but it would be a violation of your BDE
distrubution license.  You must use a "certified" installation tool to
install the BDE according to the license agreement.

But you could technically copy all the BDE files from the BDE directory on a
machine with a working installation to the machine having problems.  You
could then try exporting the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database Engine
from a working machine's registry and importing it onto the machine that
doesn't work.  Then you would need to fix up and paths so they refer to the
correct drives and folder on the second machine.  There is a sample app on
Borland's BDE support web site that may give you a head start:
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/files/bdenet.zip

This code supposedly allows you to set the necessary registry entries
without having to go through a complete "borand-approved" installation of
the BDE.  You will probably still have to BDE copy the files manually to the
proper destination, but this code should give you a good idea of the
registry entries that need to be set.

Hope this helps!

--
Vinnie Murdico
Software with Brains, Inc.

Re:BDE install problem

Thanx for your response.  Essentially, I'm trying to find out WHAT is
causing the problem.  Therefore, line by line will give me that advantage.
This is also ONLY for the machines that are having problems with simply
installing the BDE.

--

"Vinnie Murdico" <vin...@softwarewithbrains.com> wrote in message

> > I am trying to install 5.1.1 onto a 98SE machine using minireg.exe and
it
> > seizes towards the end with an error that identifies kernel32.dll as the
> > culprit.  Is there a way to use a .reg file to push the entries into the
> > registry and copy the BDE files to the proper directory?

> Technically, yes, you can do that, but it would be a violation of your BDE
> distrubution license.  You must use a "certified" installation tool to
> install the BDE according to the license agreement.

Other Threads