Migrating from Paradox or Interbase to MS SQL Server?

Hi all,

I am developing an application for archiving articles from some mailing
lists, and managing other information related to list subscribers. I am
probably going to use Paradox, or Interbase Local as the database. But at
some point, I am going to want to migrate the app to a server, and may
decide, for various reasons, to go with Microsoft SQL Server, instead of
Interbase. Right now, the app will be single user, but the databases will
eventually be accessible over the web.

Are there any issues I should be seriously concerned about at the design
stage to make the later migration very easy? Should it be relatively
straightforward to later switch to SQL Server, without really having to
change my code? I don't have a lot of time right now to do a lot of
research, and need to get it up running quickly, but don't want to do
something I will really regret later.

I am experienced with Access and FoxPro databases, but not really with
Paradox or Interbase or MS SQL Server.

Comments from anyone who has knowledge of Paradox, Interbase and/or SQL
Server, would be most welcome.

--
Brad Aisa <ba...@hookup.net>  web: http://www.hookup.net/~baisa/

1 Mises (M1.00) = 0.01 troy ounce gold; 1 Rand (1R) = 0.01 Mises

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

Re:Migrating from Paradox or Interbase to MS SQL Server?

Brad Aisa wrote:

> Hi all,

> I am developing an application for archiving articles from some mailing
> lists, and managing other information related to list subscribers. I am
> probably going to use Paradox, or Interbase Local as the database. But at
> some point, I am going to want to migrate the app to a server, and may
> decide, for various reasons, to go with Microsoft SQL Server, instead of
> Interbase. Right now, the app will be single user, but the databases will
> eventually be accessible over the web.

> Are there any issues I should be seriously concerned about at the design
> stage to make the later migration very easy? Should it be relatively
> straightforward to later switch to SQL Server, without really having to
> change my code? I don't have a lot of time right now to do a lot of
> research, and need to get it up running quickly, but don't want to do
> something I will really regret later.

> I am experienced with Access and FoxPro databases, but not really with
> Paradox or Interbase or MS SQL Server.

> Comments from anyone who has knowledge of Paradox, Interbase and/or SQL
> Server, would be most welcome.

> --
> Brad Aisa <ba...@hookup.net>  web: http://www.hookup.net/~baisa/

> 1 Mises (M1.00) = 0.01 troy ounce gold; 1 Rand (1R) = 0.01 Mises

> "The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
> guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn RandBrad,

I developed an application using the TTable component accessing Paradox
tables. This was only a developing phase - I was planning to port it to
Oracle, Informix, SQLServer or Interbase.
The problem is that accessing databases with TTable components is
terribly slow, procedures take for example 5-25 minutes using TTable
compared to 5-15 seconds using the TQuery component. I found out a
little to late.
Developing with TQuery using Paradox table is also a problem - outer
joins for example are impossible!
One more thing, different database behave differently, some requiring
"'s around column names, some add table owner to table name - all making
porting tricky.

Best wishes,
Valgareur Guejnsson

Other Threads