C/S vs Std

My client purchased the Client-Server version of Delphi 2.0.
I've been using it for development for a month now and
have a nagging question:  What did the client get for
his extra $1000+?  I haven't seen any difference between
his C/S version and my Professional 2.0.

Thanks.

--
Pete Grant
Kalevi, Inc.

Re:C/S vs Std

Pete Grant wrote:

> My client purchased the Client-Server version of Delphi 2.0.
> I've been using it for development for a month now and
> have a nagging question:  What did the client get for
> his extra $1000+?  I haven't seen any difference between
> his C/S version and my Professional 2.0.

> Thanks.

I don't have it myself, but among other things he got
distribution rights for the Interbase SQL server...

Dag.

Re:C/S vs Std

Dag Sunde <dagsu...@sn.no> wrote:
>Pete Grant wrote:

>> My client purchased the Client-Server version of Delphi 2.0.
>> I've been using it for development for a month now and
>> have a nagging question:  What did the client get for
>> his extra $1000+?  I haven't seen any difference between
>> his C/S version and my Professional 2.0.

>> Thanks.

>I don't have it myself, but among other things he got
>distribution rights for the Interbase SQL server...

Distribution rights for SQL Links runs around US$990.  That's what you
get for aproximately US$1,000.   Your Professional version does not
give you distribution rights for SQL links.
-------------------------------
Thomas Paul
TOMG...@Pipeline.Com
Dean Witter, Discover & Co.
New York City, NY USA
----------------------------------

Re:C/S vs Std

TOMG...@PIPELINE.COM (Thomas Paul) wrote:
]Dag Sunde <dagsu...@sn.no> wrote:

]
]>Pete Grant wrote:

]>>
]>> My client purchased the Client-Server version of Delphi 2.0.
]>> I've been using it for development for a month now and
]>> have a nagging question:  What did the client get for
]>> his extra $1000+?  I haven't seen any difference between
]>> his C/S version and my Professional 2.0.
]>>
]>> Thanks.
]>>
]
]>I don't have it myself, but among other things he got
]>distribution rights for the Interbase SQL server...
]
]Distribution rights for SQL Links runs around US$990.  That's what you
]get for aproximately US$1,000.   Your Professional version does not
]give you distribution rights for SQL links.
]-------------------------------
]Thomas Paul
]TOMG...@Pipeline.Com
]Dean Witter, Discover & Co.
]New York City, NY USA
]----------------------------------
]

You don't get SQL links with professional at all.
And I believe that with C/S you get a 2 user license for IB and
distribution rights for the LOCAL IB server. (Not the multiuser
version).

In C/S you also get the SQL monitor and I believe the DB Explorer has
some more features switched on.

And I believe you are supposed to get some other version of
ReportSmith.

PeterS

Re:C/S vs Std

Pete Grant wrote:

> My client purchased the Client-Server version of Delphi 2.0.
> I've been using it for development for a month now and
> have a nagging question:  What did the client get for
> his extra $1000+?  I haven't seen any difference between
> his C/S version and my Professional 2.0.

> Thanks.

> --
> Pete Grant
> Kalevi, Inc.
> Software Engineering & development

Delphi 2.0 'Professional'?  AFAIK Delphi 2 comes in 'Desktop', 'Developer' and 'C/S'
flavours.

Anyway, the key difference is a wider range of SQLLinks drivers (inc. Oracle for example)
- of course, if the RDBMS you use doesn't have a native SQLLinks driver or if DB
applications are not being developed, the difference will be neglible (not withstanding
the monetary difference of course).

--
Jolyon Smith                         |  The views represented above are my own
Application Development Consultant   |  and do not necessarily represent the

Re:C/S vs Std

pet...@soderman.pp.se (Peter S?derman) wrote:
]TOMG...@PIPELINE.COM (Thomas Paul) wrote:

]
]]Dag Sunde <dagsu...@sn.no> wrote:

]]
]]>Pete Grant wrote:

]]>>
]]>> My client purchased the Client-Server version of Delphi 2.0.
]]>> I've been using it for development for a month now and
]]>> have a nagging question:  What did the client get for
]]>> his extra $1000+?  I haven't seen any difference between
]]>> his C/S version and my Professional 2.0.
]]>>
]]>> Thanks.
]]>>
]]
]]>I don't have it myself, but among other things he got
]]>distribution rights for the Interbase SQL server...
]]
]]Distribution rights for SQL Links runs around US$990.  That's what you
]]get for aproximately US$1,000.   Your Professional version does not
]]give you distribution rights for SQL links.
]]-------------------------------
]]Thomas Paul
]]TOMG...@Pipeline.Com
]]Dean Witter, Discover & Co.
]]New York City, NY USA
]]----------------------------------
]]
]
]You don't get SQL links with professional at all.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^
]And I believe that with C/S you get a 2 user license for IB and
]distribution rights for the LOCAL IB server. (Not the multiuser
]version).
]
]In C/S you also get the SQL monitor and I believe the DB Explorer has
]some more features switched on.
]
]And I believe you are supposed to get some other version of
]ReportSmith.
]
]
]PeterS

I must have been really tired yesterday of course I meant Delphi
Developer.

PeterS

Other Threads