General Design-time & Run-time Package questions

Hello all.

I am trying to find the best way to provide our web developers with a set of
pricing code created by our pricing developers.  The pricing code is used by
the web developers but the web developers do not maintain the pricing code.
But they will need to get frequent updates of this pricing code.

I am thinking that a solution to this problem is to create a run-time
package of pricing code that the web developers can install periodically.
This way they don't have to be responsible for obtaining specific pricing
units-- they can just install the pricing code in component form when we're
ready to give it to them.

The developers currently interact with one specific object (in one specific
unit) that has all the methods they need to interact with the pricing code,
but they still need to pull all the pricing units to compile this
successfully.

When I build a runtime package that includes this unit in the "contains"
clause, I find that packages such as VCL50 and VCLDB are required.  Which
means that I have to ship these files with the web application if I want to
provide them with this specific runtime package.

Question 1: Is there a way to build a package by pointing to the Delphi 5
VCL DCUs so I won't have to ship these additional packages?  If I have to
ship something to make this work, I'd rather it just be one package.

Question 2: Is a design-time package is a better approach?  I'm able to
create a design-time package with this unit and install it in the list of
design time packages, but when I compile my app it doesn't seem to use this
design-time package.

I'm really confused in general (and I can't connect to xapxone), so any help
you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Mike

Re:General Design-time & Run-time Package questions

Hi,

You can consider encapsulating the business logic in COM object which
resident in a DLL.
And later you can even deploy them in a COM+ runtime environment.

Lijun Qin
http://www.solidshare.com

"Mike Senkovich" <mi...@decisionsys.com> wrote in message

> Hello all.

> I am trying to find the best way to provide our web developers with a set
of
> pricing code created by our pricing developers.  The pricing code is used
by
> the web developers but the web developers do not maintain the pricing
code.
> But they will need to get frequent updates of this pricing code.

> I am thinking that a solution to this problem is to create a run-time
> package of pricing code that the web developers can install periodically.
> This way they don't have to be responsible for obtaining specific pricing
> units-- they can just install the pricing code in component form when
we're
> ready to give it to them.

> The developers currently interact with one specific object (in one
specific
> unit) that has all the methods they need to interact with the pricing
code,
> but they still need to pull all the pricing units to compile this
> successfully.

> When I build a runtime package that includes this unit in the "contains"
> clause, I find that packages such as VCL50 and VCLDB are required.  Which
> means that I have to ship these files with the web application if I want
> provide them with this specific runtime package.

> Question 1: Is there a way to build a package by pointing to the Delphi 5
> VCL DCUs so I won't have to ship these additional packages?  If I have to
> ship something to make this work, I'd rather it just be one package.

> Question 2: Is a design-time package is a better approach?  I'm able to
> create a design-time package with this unit and install it in the list of
> design time packages, but when I compile my app it doesn't seem to use
this
> design-time package.

> I'm really confused in general (and I can't connect to xapxone), so any
help
> you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks
> -Mike

Other Threads