Board index » delphi » Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads

Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads

in project source there is section where forms are created, you can increase
your progress bar between two forms creating.
Or, you can place progress bar increments between table openings.

Or, put animated icon on your splash screen instead of progress bar.

 

Re:Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads


Hi,

my D1-Application needs up to 30 sec. to start/load
on my customer's PC (only Cyrix-133 /w 8MB RAM) while
the same app. needs only 2-4 sec. on my PC.

I've already done a splash screen but 30 sec. can get
a bit long.

I figure that most of the time is eaten up by loading
the BDE-DLL's (I'm using Paradox).

How can I update a progress bar on the splash screen?
Same behaviour as in Database Desktop.

Please no timer suggestions. I'm interested in the real
thing.

Have been looking for the solution for quite a long time.
Anyone? (Sol. for D3 is welcome, too.)

Regards, W.L.

Re:Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads


Thanks for your reply.

Of course I know of the possibilty of updating the progress
bar after each form loaded.

Actually I generate very few forms on startup (four to be
exact here). And they're not too complicated.

The most of the time is eaten by the BDE.

Regards, W.L.

Quote
Buch wrote:

> in project source there is section where forms are created, you can increase
> your progress bar between two forms creating.
> Or, you can place progress bar increments between table openings.

> Or, put animated icon on your splash screen instead of progress bar.

Re:Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads


Quote
Werner Lehmann wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.

> Of course I know of the possibilty of updating the progress
> bar after each form loaded.

> Actually I generate very few forms on startup (four to be
> exact here). And they're not too complicated.

> The most of the time is eaten by the BDE.

> Regards, W.L.

> Buch wrote:

> > in project source there is section where forms are created, you can increase
> > your progress bar between two forms creating.
> > Or, you can place progress bar increments between table openings.

> > Or, put animated icon on your splash screen instead of progress bar.

Sounds to me that with only 8MB memory, swapping is eating the most
time, especially if the app opens in only 2-4 seconds on your PC...

Re:Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads


I use the splash form -- I open two databases and about a dozen tables, and
update labels on the splash form as each completes (or the error message if
something goes wrong)...

--
Brandon C. Smith
http://www.synature.com
newsread...@synature.com

Quote
Timothy J. Kelly wrote in message <353DF5C3.7...@flash.net>...
>Werner Lehmann wrote:

>> Thanks for your reply.

>> Of course I know of the possibilty of updating the progress
>> bar after each form loaded.

>> Actually I generate very few forms on startup (four to be
>> exact here). And they're not too complicated.

>> The most of the time is eaten by the BDE.

>> Regards, W.L.

>> Buch wrote:

>> > in project source there is section where forms are created, you can
increase
>> > your progress bar between two forms creating.
>> > Or, you can place progress bar increments between table openings.

>> > Or, put animated icon on your splash screen instead of progress bar.

>Sounds to me that with only 8MB memory, swapping is eating the most
>time, especially if the app opens in only 2-4 seconds on your PC...

Re:Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads


Quote
Timothy J. Kelly wrote:
> Sounds to me that with only 8MB memory, swapping is eating the most
> time, especially if the app opens in only 2-4 seconds on your PC...

Obvious. But if my customers sticks to his Cyrix133 (a better 486)
there's no way to convince him to upgrade.

Anyway, there must be way to update a progress bar properly. Database
Desktop does the same thing, so can I, can't I?

Regards, W.L.

Re:Showing a progress bar while the BDE+App loads


Quote
Werner Lehmann wrote:

> Timothy J. Kelly wrote:
> > Sounds to me that with only 8MB memory, swapping is eating the most
> > time, especially if the app opens in only 2-4 seconds on your PC...

> Obvious. But if my customers sticks to his Cyrix133 (a better 486)
> there's no way to convince him to upgrade.

> Anyway, there must be way to update a progress bar properly. Database
> Desktop does the same thing, so can I, can't I?

> Regards, W.L.

If I remember an old post in this n.g., DBD uses a different scheme to
update the progressbar.  It would put a value in the registry
corresponding to the load time, updating after each load, to set the
timer for updating the Progressbar...

Other Threads