Board index » delphi » Applications/DLL's that conflict with BDE?

Applications/DLL's that conflict with BDE?

I am currently having problems with two PC's on my network when running
applications that use the BDE for data access.  All the PC's on the network
are Intel Pentium 100 with 32Mb RAM basically running Office 97 and
Goldmine contact management software.

Some of the machines originally ran MSDOS & Win 3.1, although all have now
been upgraded to Windows 95.  On all but these two machines database access
runs at a reasonable speed, however on the two PC's in question opening a
server-based dBase table can take anything up to five minutes.

I have checked the BDE version (4.01) & settings as well as the network
connections, and can find no reason for the slow response - the only thing
I can think of is that possibly some application or DLL is causing a
conflict with the BDE.  

Does anybody know of anything in particular that would cause this problem?
_______________________
Richard Sutcliffe
http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/delphi/main.htm

 

Re:Applications/DLL's that conflict with BDE?


Quote
Richard Sutcliffe wrote:

> I am currently having problems with two PC's on my network when running
> applications that use the BDE for data access.  All the PC's on the network
> are Intel Pentium 100 with 32Mb RAM basically running Office 97 and
> Goldmine contact management software.

> Some of the machines originally ran MSDOS & Win 3.1, although all have now
> been upgraded to Windows 95.  On all but these two machines database access
> runs at a reasonable speed, however on the two PC's in question opening a
> server-based dBase table can take anything up to five minutes.

> I have checked the BDE version (4.01) & settings as well as the network
> connections, and can find no reason for the slow response - the only thing
> I can think of is that possibly some application or DLL is causing a
> conflict with the BDE.

> Does anybody know of anything in particular that would cause this problem?
> _______________________
> Richard Sutcliffe
> http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/delphi/main.htm

Hi Richard,
I've had exactly the same problem with BDE 4.51 and dBase files on a
fileserver. What I did wrong was: my application had more than one form.
In the main form I used a TSession and set the NetFileDir to the network
dir and the PrivateDir to the local dir. But what I forgot to do was
make all dataset components on the other forms share that same TSession
(they used the default Session which has a NetFileDir=C:\ which is
ofcourse useless with a fileserver database).

Also when saving data I did a (BDE) dbiSaveChanges (or whatever it's
called) to physically write the changes to disk. Until now it hasn't
given much problems - but you never know.
I'm going to go over to Interbase or SQLAnywhere - I don't believe in
fileserver databases - it's to much trouble.
Wait until you use a fileserver database with the BDE on internet in CGI
programs. The CGI program has one private directory for all the users
that execute it at the same time giving you a "Directory is busy"
exception. That really sux because users often press HTML form buttons
twice in their inpatience - starting more than one process of you CGI
app - and getting an exception as result (the only the first process
will succeed).

I like the BDE for the extensive amount of exception error messages and
their discriptions - problem is though you also get to see them a lot.

Greetings,
Craig Manley.

Other Threads