Borland Pascal 64k Limit FAQ

> Andrew Sprott (andrew.spr...@crystal.dircon.co.uk) wrote:

> :  PG>  However both ar 16-bit systems which manifests in a 64kB limit
> :  PG> for a single variable and a single code segment.

> :  Shorely you can split up your global segments into units?

> Splitting the program into units does not help overcome the
> 64 k Limit for variables. It seems to be time to repeat my

> Borland Pascal 64k Limit FAQ
> ----------------------------

> Q: Can a program written in Borland Pascal use (static) variables

[snip]

> Q: Why is Borland Pascal not a 32-bit compiler?
> A: It's too old. Please tell Borland that you want a new version.

Yes, but will they listen? An attempt was once made to petition them to
update BP/TP for
Dos, but they never did. I wonder if another petition will work for a
Dos 32 bit compiler for BP/TP.

> Q: What is non-static memory?
> A: For example Heap, XMS, EMS, ...
>    Heap is directly accessible, XMS needs a driver (himem.sys),

[snip]

Don't forget TMT pascal at http://www.tmt.com/index.htm

--
Patrick D. Rockwell
mailto:prockw...@thegrid.net

Re:Borland Pascal 64k Limit FAQ

JRS:  In article <381F8AE6.39227...@thegrid.net> of Tue, 2 Nov 1999
17:07:50 in news:comp.lang.pascal.borland, Patrick D. Rockwell

<prockw...@thegrid.net> wrote:
> An attempt was once made to petition them to
>update BP/TP for
>Dos, but they never did. I wonder if another petition will work for a
>Dos 32 bit compiler for BP/TP.

The market for a 32-bit Pascal compiler generating DOS code is now
negligible, since relatively few run plain DOS and there is at least one
free BP-compatible compiler.

Most PC users now run Win9x (I think), and Delphi>2 (available on
magazine cover discs) can compile 32-bit Pascal; often a program
requires little or no change to be compatible with BOTH Delphi 3 "DCC32
-cc prog.pas" and BP7/TP7 - my longcalc and mjd_date, for example.  This
further reduces the market.

It might be worth reminding Borland that, when Delphi is ported (as
seems intended) to Linux, provision for generating non-GUI command-line
programs (and of a command-line compiler) should be both easy and
appreciated.

 Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
 Dates - miscdate.htm  Year 2000 - date2000.htm  Critical Dates - critdate.htm
 Y2k for beginners - year2000.txt  UK mini-FAQ - y2k-mfaq.txt  Don't Mail News

Other Threads