Fillpolygon? - help

Okay, I'm trying to make a funky polygon flop around in space.  I got
everything figured out right down to a wireframe.  Now, I need a way
to fill it, and even better, a way to shade it.  Now, given time, I'm
sure I could come up with the slowest possible way to fill a poly, but
I'd much rather absorb someone else's knowledge.  And with shading, I
figure the slope is a good enough way to decide shade, but if there's
a better looking way I'd like to know.  I know this stuff is covered
in 4000 level CS courses, but I don't want to wait that long.  Thank
you. :)

Re:Fillpolygon? - help

skint...@wpi.edu (Seth Alan Kintigh) wrote:

>Okay, I'm trying to make a funky polygon flop around in space.  I got
>everything figured out right down to a wireframe.  Now, I need a way
>to fill it, and even better, a way to shade it.  Now, given time, I'm
>sure I could come up with the slowest possible way to fill a poly, but
>I'd much rather absorb someone else's knowledge.  And with shading, I
>figure the slope is a good enough way to decide shade, but if there's
>a better looking way I'd like to know.  I know this stuff is covered
>in 4000 level CS courses, but I don't want to wait that long.  Thank
>you. :)

Try looking in the Asphyxia demo trainer series. One of them (I can't
remember which) includes a polygon shading routine (actually it's glenzed
which looks pretty damned fine, but it's not too hard to make things
solid from that). These programs are widely available on the 'net.

Richard

Richard C A Cullen                  |  Postgraduate Student
EMail : I...@SIRIUS.TN.RL.AC.UK      |  Imperial College,
at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory   |  Dept of Electrical Engineering,
____________________________________|__________________________________

Re:Fillpolygon? - help

Wow, thank you very much.  I've read about using vectors before but
never had any idea what they were talking about.  Do you have any
hints on how to squease a bitmap onto a non-square shape, or how to
make your shape bendy like it's made out of jello?
BTW, is checking and filling one pixel at a time fast?  I had
considered that but haven't tried it yet as I am quite busy with
school.  Once breaks starts I have about 30 messages and some source I
need to study.  Thank you again.

Other Threads