QR: SubDetail and Child Bands

I'm currently trying to translate one of our company's old report forms
to a new one for our new Delphi system. I'm supposed to make it look as
much like the original as possible. But I'm having problems formating
it.

After the main entry items (in the Detail band), there are some
many-to-one fields from another table, which I have set up on a
SubDetail band. After that is an optional field, one that should be in a
Child band. That is followed by more many-to-one fields, which means
another SubDetail.

The problems started with two facts:
1.) The Child band always wanted to come first, above the SubDetails.
2.) I can't hang a SubDetail off from a Child Band.

Since I couldn't find a way to solve these problems, I decided to
replace the Child with a SubDetail,{*word*154} from the Detail band.
However, the data for this band was in the same table as that of the
Detail band. When I set this up, Preview would not print any records for
the detail beyond the first, and the status bar in the lower left would
lock at halfway through.

Then I tried to set up a second data set, a clone of the one for the
detail, and link the new SubDetail to that. But this required a
master-detail relationship between the two identical data sets. This
provided an error of "'WKEY' is not indexed and cannot be modified."

I don't know if anyone can actually follow that, but if you have any
idea where I went wrong, or how to make this kind of thing work, please
let me know.

Thanx,
Wade Trupke

Re:QR: SubDetail and Child Bands

Wade

I would try putting a footer on the first set of subdetailbands and
placing a qrdbtext on it pointing to your field from the detail band
dataset.

John

John M. Philip wrote:

> Wade

> I would try putting a footer on the first set of subdetailbands and
> placing a qrdbtext on it pointing to your field from the detail band
> dataset.

> John

Thanx John!

I did what you said. It didn't work at first. . . until I remembered the
PrintIfEmpty property. I set that to true, and it seems to be working
just fine.

Once again, thanks.

Wade Trupke

Other Threads