toggling between local interbase and client server interbase

We are having trouble using Interbase.  We had local interbase working while
we were waiting for our copy of Interbase SQL server to arrive. Now we want to
toggle between running local interbase tables for development, and only
periodically test using client server interbase tables.  So, since we have the
interbase client software installed, we cannot connect to the local interbase
server shipped with delphi.  Thanks in advance.

Also, and more importantly, can anyone recommend a web site or book to
optimize Interbase?  It is painfully slow.  What used to take 1.5 seconds
running paradox, takes 8 seconds in Local Interbase and/or Client Server
Interbase.

Thanks for any pointers or advice,
Eric Lannert
lann...@ils.nwu.edu

Re:toggling between local interbase and client server interbase

nobody@nowhere wrote:
>We are having trouble using Interbase.  We had local interbase working while
>we were waiting for our copy of Interbase SQL server to arrive. Now we want to
>toggle between running local interbase tables for development, and only
>periodically test using client server interbase tables.  So, since we have the
>interbase client software installed, we cannot connect to the local interbase
>server shipped with delphi.  Thanks in advance.
>Also, and more importantly, can anyone recommend a web site or book to
>optimize Interbase?  It is painfully slow.  What used to take 1.5 seconds
>running paradox, takes 8 seconds in Local Interbase and/or Client Server
>Interbase.

I think you need to reinstall the bde that came with Delphi. I had the
same problem. In WISQL the Local Interbase option was greyed out.

Also you have to be careful with some queries, to ensure that your
queries use the indexes. On large datasets this is critical. As a
result I have a test dataset I use to play with queries that is 50,000
records (27Mbytes). This ensures I don't fool myself with a test
dataset of say 100 records.

With the right query structure, you regain the performance you had
with Paradox tables.

I would like someone to write a book on Interbase too, with all thr
tricks we need to know.

Gary

Software Developer
Auckland, New Zealand.