Which version?

Folks:

My new job requires me to learn Turbo Pascal, which we use to develop a
program that runs under DOS, but we will eventually develop for Windows.

 I have a 486 running W95. I know where I can get TP ver. 1.5 for
Windows 3.1, but will this run properly under W95? Should I instead get
the DOS version? Is there a later version Borland sells?

Re:Which version?

Dave Leeds wrote:

> Folks:

> My new job requires me to learn Turbo Pascal, which we use to develop a
> program that runs under DOS, but we will eventually develop for Windows.

>  I have a 486 running W95. I know where I can get TP ver. 1.5 for
> Windows 3.1, but will this run properly under W95? Should I instead get
> the DOS version? Is there a later version Borland sells?

TPW runs fine under Win95. But take care: You can't write DOS apps in
TPW. Borland Pascal (I think 7.0 is the latest version) can compile Win
and DOS apps, whereas Turbo Pascal (7.0 and lower) can do only DOS.
Maybe Borland became confused by its own product policy, so they
s{*word*99}ped the whole Pascal stuff and changed to Delphi.

--
Holger Schaefer
Economics Research Assiociate

Re:Which version?

Holger Schaefer wrote:
> TPW runs fine under Win95. But take care: You can't write DOS apps in
> TPW. Borland Pascal (I think 7.0 is the latest version) can compile Win
> and DOS apps, whereas Turbo Pascal (7.0 and lower) can do only DOS.
> Maybe Borland became confused by its own product policy, so they
> s{*word*99}ped the whole Pascal stuff and changed to Delphi.

> --
> Holger Schaefer
> Economics Research Assiociate
> mailto:holger.schae...@halberstadt.netsurf.de
> http://www2.fh-harz.de/~hschaefer/index.htm

 In addition, Turbo De{*word*81} (that comes with TPW) will NOT work correctly
under W95 unless you download the patch for it.

Here it is --
ftp://ftp.borland.com/pub/otherprod/devsupport/misc/tdsvga.zip

|   Sam Jones   | "You can't harm me! My wings  |
+------aka------+  are like a shield of steel!" |
| Flash  Gordon |                    ---Batfink |

Re:Which version?

I appreciate the response, but now I think I'm more  confused-you said
TP 7 and lower will write DOS apps-but how does TPW 1.5 relate to that?
Does it run in Windows, but only write DOS?

I should perhaps make clear that I want a compiler to learn how to
program in Pascal more than to develop apps.

Re:Which version?

Thanks-I'll have to think about this, and try to figure out whether it
will be worth it.

Re:Which version?

Dave Leeds wrote:
> I appreciate the response, but now I think I'm more  confused-you said
> TP 7 and lower will write DOS apps-but how does TPW 1.5 relate to that?
> Does it run in Windows, but only write DOS?

No, TPW 1.5 runs in Windows only, and produces Windows (16-bit) programs
only.  The only real relation is the the core language is mostly the same --
application of the language in each environment differs slightly (though for
the most part, and with simple operations, it's just about the same).

> I should perhaps make clear that I want a compiler to learn how to
> program in Pascal more than to develop apps.

For simple learning reasons, I'd recommend DOS.  It's pretty straightforward,
and you don't need to set up a text console like you do in TPW.

Re:Which version?

Scott Earnest wrote:
> Dave Leeds wrote:

> > I appreciate the response, but now I think I'm more  confused-you said
> > TP 7 and lower will write DOS apps-but how does TPW 1.5 relate to that?
> > Does it run in Windows, but only write DOS?

> No, TPW 1.5 runs in Windows only, and produces Windows (16-bit) programs
> only.  The only real relation is the the core language is mostly the same --
> application of the language in each environment differs slightly (though for
> the most part, and with simple operations, it's just about the same).

> > I should perhaps make clear that I want a compiler to learn how to
> > program in Pascal more than to develop apps.

> For simple learning reasons, I'd recommend DOS.  It's pretty straightforward,
> and you don't need to set up a text console like you do in TPW.

  If you're doing simple readln/writeln stuff, you don't have to set up anything,
it's just the same as a Dos version would be. However, if you wanted to take
advantage of Windows' objects (such as dialog boxes) then that's a little more
complicated.

--SJ

Re:Which version?

Flash Gordon wrote:
>   If you're doing simple readln/writeln stuff, you don't have to set up anything,
> it's just the same as a Dos version would be. However, if you wanted to take
> advantage of Windows' objects (such as dialog boxes) then that's a little more
> complicated.

Well, the few times I've had to use it, I can recall a required "uses wincrt;"
declaration, and also helpful is a call to donewincrt() at the end of the
program to clean up (unless you want to leave the console window open).  The
default text console is rather weak compared to what you can do with DOS,
though you can get third-party units which can accomodate a better display.
Nevertheless, *yes*, TPW *does* have some minor formalities that aren't part
of the standard learning process.

> --SJ

Re:Which version?

Scott Earnest wrote:

> Well, the few times I've had to use it, I can recall a required "uses wincrt;"
> declaration, and also helpful is a call to donewincrt() at the end of the
> program to clean up (unless you want to leave the console window open).  The
> default text console is rather weak compared to what you can do with DOS,
> though you can get third-party units which can accomodate a better display.
> Nevertheless, *yes*, TPW *does* have some minor formalities that aren't part
> of the standard learning process.

The main problem with DOS to Windows conversion via WinCrt is that the
latter can't do any graphic commands. It's useful for text-only apps,
though.

--
Holger Schaefer
Economics Research Assiociate