Board index » delphi » BDE vs ADO

BDE vs ADO

What is the performance differences between the newest version of BDE (90%
faster than previous version??) and the ADO, connecting to SQL Server??
 

Re:BDE vs ADO


Quote
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:07:46 +0200, "Regardt" <rega...@btsi.ws> wrote:
>What is the performance differences between the newest version of BDE (90%
>faster than previous version??) and the ADO, connecting to SQL Server??

I wouldn't worry about these kind of details and performance - most
the performance problems usually come from sloppy programming or
flawed designs - invest your brainpower into avoiding these pitfalls,
and it won't really matter whether you use BDE or ADO.

ADO is the way to go - it's the officially supported connectivity for
MS SQL Server, and it's the only solution that fully supports SQL
Server 7 and 2000 - the BDE doesn't, and it's in "twilight" mode, e.g.
won't be developed any further. Go with ADO.

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:BDE vs ADO


Marc,

Quote
> I wouldn't worry about these kind of details and performance - most
> the performance problems usually come from sloppy programming or
> flawed designs - invest your brainpower into avoiding these pitfalls,
> and it won't really matter whether you use BDE or ADO.

Wouldn't have said it better. This is really all there is to it.

--
Vassil Nazarov
http://web.orbitel.bg/vassil/

Re:BDE vs ADO


Quote
"Vassil Nazarov" <vas...@engineer.bg> wrote in message

news:3d017246_2@dnews...

Quote
> Marc,

> > I wouldn't worry about these kind of details and performance - most
> > the performance problems usually come from sloppy programming or
> > flawed designs - invest your brainpower into avoiding these pitfalls,
> > and it won't really matter whether you use BDE or ADO.

> Wouldn't have said it better. This is really all there is to it.

BDE is faster though. <g>. Previous threads in this ng did some speed
comparisons.

If you want comparable or better speeds to BDE, go OLEDB Direct
(www.oledbdirect.com). Otherwise, ADO is the way to go as it is
straightforward and standard, particularly when using MS database servers.

Lauchlan M.

Re:BDE vs ADO


Quote
> BDE is faster though. <g>. Previous threads in this ng did some speed
> comparisons.

May be so for some tasks, so what? Assembler should be even faster but
does that make you write DB apps in assembler? In a properly designed
application it's irrelevant whether a certain operation would take 15 ms.
more or less.

--
Vassil Nazarov
http://web.orbitel.bg/vassil/

Re:BDE vs ADO


Quote
"Vassil Nazarov" <vas...@engineer.bg> wrote in message

news:3d01e9cb_2@dnews...

Quote
> > BDE is faster though. <g>. Previous threads in this ng did some speed
> > comparisons.

> May be so for some tasks, so what? Assembler should be even faster but
> does that make you write DB apps in assembler? In a properly designed
> application it's irrelevant whether a certain operation would take 15 ms.
> more or less.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. If you want a database interface that
is orders of magnitude slower, that is your choice. I just gave some info so
other people could make their choices.

Cheers,

Lauchlan M.

Re:BDE vs ADO


To breakup the tie, I'll offer my opinion.  BDE is faster when I timed
simple "Select * from Table" stuff, and some may say easier to use because
you have the BDE Administrator instead of long ConnectionStrings' of ADO.

I recently switched to ADO and it's not bad, hard to notice any speed
difference.  The only Gotchas was getting it to work with all the
updates/service packs for MDAC, OS, Database, and EOleErrors.

So if you're comfortable with BDE stay with it.  I went to ADO because the
client asked us to and don't have any reasons to go back.

Dan

Quote
"Lauchlan M" <LMackin...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:3d0237d1_2@dnews...
Quote
> "Vassil Nazarov" <vas...@engineer.bg> wrote in message
> news:3d01e9cb_2@dnews...
> > > BDE is faster though. <g>. Previous threads in this ng did some speed
> > > comparisons.

> > May be so for some tasks, so what? Assembler should be even faster but
> > does that make you write DB apps in assembler? In a properly designed
> > application it's irrelevant whether a certain operation would take 15
ms.
> > more or less.

> Hey, you're entitled to your opinion. If you want a database interface
that
> is orders of magnitude slower, that is your choice. I just gave some info
so
> other people could make their choices.

> Cheers,

> Lauchlan M.

Re:BDE vs ADO


On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:42:22 -0600, "Dan Hoang"

Quote
<Dan_Ho...@DynamicRisk.net> wrote:
>To breakup the tie, I'll offer my opinion.  BDE is faster when I timed
>simple "Select * from Table" stuff, and some may say easier to use because
>you have the BDE Administrator instead of long ConnectionStrings' of ADO.

I'd say using ADO is simpler - it's already pre-installed on any
Windows machine, while the BDE needs to be shipped, installed and
configured. Once you understand the ADO connection strings, they're
really not that difficult and/or complex!

Quote
>So if you're comfortable with BDE stay with it.  I went to ADO because the
>client asked us to and don't have any reasons to go back.

I would recommend that if you do a major overhaul of your app, or if
you write a new one from scratch, to go with ADO - face it, folks, the
BDE is a dying breed, no more big bug fixes and releases to be
expected.....

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:BDE vs ADO


I don`t seem to notice any obvious performance differences. It is much
easier to deploy as well. I have a few problems now with EOleConvertion
(error converting VarChar to DateTime)errors when creating parameters as
DateTime or Integer and assigning values to them and executing the
storedproc.

Any ideas?

Quote
"Marc Scheuner" <mscheu...@no.spam.for.me.ca> wrote in message

<news:n8r0huse35sjhcb2hdarsrbepg6vr1lolo@4ax.com>...
Quote
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:42:22 -0600, "Dan Hoang"
> <Dan_Ho...@DynamicRisk.net> wrote:
> >To breakup the tie, I'll offer my opinion.  BDE is faster when I timed
> >simple "Select * from Table" stuff, and some may say easier to use
because
> >you have the BDE Administrator instead of long ConnectionStrings' of ADO.

> I'd say using ADO is simpler - it's already pre-installed on any
> Windows machine, while the BDE needs to be shipped, installed and
> configured. Once you understand the ADO connection strings, they're
> really not that difficult and/or complex!

> >So if you're comfortable with BDE stay with it.  I went to ADO because
the
> >client asked us to and don't have any reasons to go back.

> I would recommend that if you do a major overhaul of your app, or if
> you write a new one from scratch, to go with ADO - face it, folks, the
> BDE is a dying breed, no more big bug fixes and releases to be
> expected.....

> Marc

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
> Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
> Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Other Threads