BDE, ODBC, SQL 6.5: Operation Not Supported

Howdy!

I wrote an App in Delphi 3 which accesses our MS SQL 6.5 server through
ODBC.  It made extensive use of stored procedures on the SQL server.  It
worked great, and people were happy.  Then I upgraded my machine to a
new Dell 333 (it was a Dell 233).  Now, when I try to execute the stored
procedures it comes back with an Operation Not Supported message.

This is the current setup:
Delphi 3.02 w/ BDE 4.51
ODBC SQL Server driver 3.50.0305
ODBC Data Source Admin. 3.50.33.30
MS SQL 6.5 SP 4

Stepping through the code, it happens when the stored procedure is sent
an Open command.  This problem also shows up in a test app where I just
have a Database component, and a TStoredProc.  The database component
will connect successfully with the SQL server, and I can use TQuery
objects to access / update tables.

The only problem is the stored procedures won't run.  Any ideas?

Thanx in advance

Chris Lively

Re:BDE, ODBC, SQL 6.5: Operation Not Supported

This may be an annoying response, but whenever in the past I have gone
through a hardware upgrade and something didn't work, it was because
something was missing that I didn't realize was missing.  I know that this
sounds like "Is it plugged in?" kind of advice, but I have a hard time
believing a Dell pc doesn't support a remote database procedure.  Then
again, I may be wrong.  Best of luck!

> worked great, and people were happy.  Then I upgraded my machine to a
> new Dell 333 (it was a Dell 233).  Now, when I try to execute the stored
> procedures it comes back with an Operation Not Supported message.

Re:BDE, ODBC, SQL 6.5: Operation Not Supported

Your problem is with the new ODBC drivers.  I had the exact problem AFTER
upgrading to MS SQL Server ODBC driver version 3.50.0305.  When I
reinstalled version 265.0252 everything returned to normal. Take your SQL
Server disk, go to the ODBC directory and install the older ODBC driver
(fortunately MS allows you to overwrite the new driver with the old).
Everything should be OK then.

Alan

Chris Lively wrote in message <34F60308.23E67...@intelemedia.com>...
>Howdy!

>I wrote an App in Delphi 3 which accesses our MS SQL 6.5 server through
>ODBC.  It made extensive use of stored procedures on the SQL server.  It
>worked great, and people were happy.  Then I upgraded my machine to a
>new Dell 333 (it was a Dell 233).  Now, when I try to execute the stored
>procedures it comes back with an Operation Not Supported message.

>This is the current setup:
>Delphi 3.02 w/ BDE 4.51
>ODBC SQL Server driver 3.50.0305
>ODBC Data Source Admin. 3.50.33.30
>MS SQL 6.5 SP 4

>Stepping through the code, it happens when the stored procedure is sent
>an Open command.  This problem also shows up in a test app where I just
>have a Database component, and a TStoredProc.  The database component
>will connect successfully with the SQL server, and I can use TQuery
>objects to access / update tables.

>The only problem is the stored procedures won't run.  Any ideas?

>Thanx in advance

>Chris Lively

Re:BDE, ODBC, SQL 6.5: Operation Not Supported

If you look at the Borland developer download site,
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/delphi/downloads/index.html, you will
find a pointer to DBCLIENT.DLL with the explanation (if you can call it
that) 'This file fixes the "Operation Not Applicable" error. NOTE: This
DLL should be used in conjunction with the BDE 4.51 update.'  Maybe it
applies to the current situation.  In any case, what you get is a
version of DBCLIENT.DLL that is 157152 bytes long, dated November 14,
1997, at 04:51.  The DBCLIENT.DLL found in c:/winnt/system32 is 158128
bytes long but has the same date and time.  There is no readme file
included with the download and no further explanation.  You're on your
own (and best of luck).

If someone from Borland reads this, would you please please please lean
on someone to provide some more guidance on your upgrades page?  In
addition to the ambiguous situation above, you offer, for example, the
programs vcnp.exe and vcp.exe each described as a "Delphi and BDE
version utility"; the second one with the extra description "(Package
Version)".  What does this mean?  The second one is about 1/5 the size
of the first.  They both appear to do the same thing.  And by the way,
they both report that my system is up-to-date without the DBCLIENT.DLL
replacement.  Is this correct?

    - Richard Tenney
      r...@cs.umb.edu

Other Threads