BDE Installation using InstallShield

I downloaded the BDE Sample Installation for InstallShield 5 Professional.
This installs great if BDE does not already exist on the computer it is
installing to.  However, if the computer already has Paradox or some other
Borland Database product with another version of BDE on it...the install
crashes...or if it is successful it has problems when you try to run Paradox
or one or my Delphi Applications because the version of BDE is different and
can't co-exist in the same directory.  How do you handle distributing the
BDE engine with the myriad of problems that you may occur during the
installation.  Should I always install the BDE into a directory such as
C:\Program Files\Borland\Common Files\Delphi\BDE or something.  Any help on
this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Best Regards,
Michael McDonald
Chief Information Officer
VIRSYS - Phoenix, AZ
602-643-4351

Re:BDE Installation using InstallShield

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:37:44 -0600, "Michael McDonald" <vir...@wixnet.com>
wrote:

>can't co-exist in the same directory.  How do you handle distributing the
>BDE engine with the myriad of problems that you may occur during the
>installation.  Should I always install the BDE into a directory such as
>C:\Program Files\Borland\Common Files\Delphi\BDE or something.  Any help on
>this matter would be appreciated.  Thanks.

A good idea is to always install the files in the above directory. However
another idea is to look for the current location of the BDE in the
registry, and then check what the current version is.

Only once you have established that the BDE version that is included in
your installation is newer should you update it. Please do note that the
16-bit and the 32-bit BDEs should be installed into different directories.

If a BDE DLL cannot be updated, you can make sure that it is updated by
including it in a part of the registry that ensures it is updated the next
time you reboot.

This is the only advice I have on this issue, but would love to help. If
there is any spot in the BDE Whitepaper that you are stuck with, please let
me know.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems
-
= Spam-garbled address: ellipse-data.co.za@stefan - swap domain and uname
= Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company
= Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/
= Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/

Other Threads