Delphi 2.0 Applications on Win3.1 and Win95

Folks,

As we are starting to develop our first Delphi 2.0 application we are
running into a problem to which we can't seem to get a clear answer:

What does it take to make 32-bit Delphi applications run on both win3.1
and win95. What are the parts of Delphi 2.0 that can't be used when this
is the aim.

If you could answer this question for me please also mail the reply to:
[email protected]

Thanks,

Klaas

Re:Delphi 2.0 Applications on Win3.1 and Win95

Klaas,

FOr a 32-bit app to run under Win 3.1, WIn 3.1 must be running Win32S
subsystem.
However, the WIn32S does not have all of the 32-bit API functions supported
in real
32-bit WIndows OSes like WIn95 and WinNT. Therefore, there will be some
functions
that a 32-bit Delphi program calls that will not exist in Win32s, so it
will not run.

Mark

Klaas Schilstra <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...

> Folks,

> As we are starting to develop our first Delphi 2.0 application we are
> running into a problem to which we can't seem to get a clear answer:

> What does it take to make 32-bit Delphi applications run on both win3.1
> and win95. What are the parts of Delphi 2.0 that can't be used when this
> is the aim.

> If you could answer this question for me please also mail the reply to:
> [email protected]

> Thanks,

> Klaas

Re:Delphi 2.0 Applications on Win3.1 and Win95

Klaas,
  Windows 3.1 is a 16-bit environment and cannot run applications developed
in Delphi 2.0 which is 32-bit.  I've heard of someone getting a very basic
application developed with Delphi 2.0 (i.e. a blank form) to run under 3.1
but you wouldn't get very far.  Applications developed using Delphi 1.0
will run under both Win95 and Win3.1 (in 16-bit mode).  Depending on what
version of Delphi 2.0 you purchased you might also have Delphi 1.0 on your
install disk.  I'm not sure which versions (i.e. Desktop, Developer, etc.)
Borland also shipped Delphi 1.0 with.  If you code carefully you can,
however, simply copy your Delphi 1.0 code to a separate directory and
recompile under Delphi 2.0 to get a 32-bit version for your Win95 users if
that was required.  The reverse is not nessesarily true.

Hope this helps.
--
Rod Geraghty (:>)
GERA-Tech

Klaas Schilstra <[email protected]> wrote in article
<[email protected]>...

> Folks,

> As we are starting to develop our first Delphi 2.0 application we are
> running into a problem to which we can't seem to get a clear answer:

> What does it take to make 32-bit Delphi applications run on both win3.1
> and win95. What are the parts of Delphi 2.0 that can't be used when this
> is the aim.

> If you could answer this question for me please also mail the reply to:
> [email protected]

> Thanks,

> Klaas

Re:Delphi 2.0 Applications on Win3.1 and Win95

Klaas Schilstra ([email protected]) wrote:

: Folks,

: As we are starting to develop our first Delphi 2.0 application we are
: running into a problem to which we can't seem to get a clear answer:

: What does it take to make 32-bit Delphi applications run on both win3.1
: and win95. What are the parts of Delphi 2.0 that can't be used when this
: is the aim.

Install the LATEST version of WIN32s (carefully hidden somewhere
on www.microsoft.com) and your Delphi 2 app will run on Win 3.1
provided you don't use the BDE. I can't get the 32-bit BDE to
install on 3.1 even with WIN32s in place.

Mike Wilson                                      [email protected]
REA03                                         Reading, Berkshire, UK
At home:     [email protected]    http://www.plexus.demon.co.uk

Other Threads