Paradox , DBase or MS Access

In such a question, "opinions" count for very little.  Everyone has
their own pre-conceived notions about which one of these is "best," and
often these opinions vary precious-little from one application to
another.  Let's look at your customer's requirements:

(1) "Customer wants MS compatibility."  Stop.  End of story.  The
customer wants a Microsoft? Solution.  Therefore, charge him for
Microsoft? SQL Server Version 7.0.

(2) The user has about 100,000 records and 30 tables.  This is a
perfectly ordinary medium-sized database and there's nothing unusual
about that.  Likewise 20 megs is a -tiny- database by today's
standards.  No decision-points here to deflect us from Microsoft? SQL
Server Version 7.0.

(3) If you have 15 simultaneous users, and they are -updating- the
records all day, then certainly this tips the scales slightly toward a
client/server solution versus a fileserver solution because it is
slightly more resistant to workstation resets. Given that your customer
wants a Microsoft? solution .. give him one!

(4) All in all, I would prescribe for this user that you should purchase
for him a $7,000 Microsoft? Windows-NT dual-CPU fully redundant server
with RAID disk drives (for which you paid only $4,000) making sure that
it is Microsoft? Certified to Run Microsoft? Windows? 2000.  (The Latest
Version!!)  Then install Microsoft? SQL Server Version 7.0 (The Latest
Version!!!!) onto this machine.  So now the price of this system is
about $9,000 and you're looking at $4,000 profit on the hardware alone.

(5) Upshot... "soak 'em."  Realize that they WANT to be soaked.  You are
dealing with a customer who is "vaguely unhappy" about status quo and
who will be comforted by a Microsoft? brand-name solution to the
problem.  So, give him one and pocket the difference.  The more you
charge him... the happier he will be.

(6) It's true.  Don't ask me -why- it is true, but it is.  (Ever watched
someone with a brand-new car trumpeting to everyone who will listen how
-much- he paid for it?  I rest my case.)

>tw wrote:

> This question has probably been asked here many times but is it worth
> Rewriting an existing  Delphi PDox application to use ADO MS Access? (The
> customer wants MS compatibility) Which format is best for net working
> environment (15+ seats) on  a medium sized DBase (approx 100k records, 30
> tables. Current Pdox DB, weighs in at 20Meg when compressed) Should the
> customer forget MS compatibility issue over possible problems created by
> access networking, crashes etc etc??
> Any opinions appreciated.

Re:Paradox , DBase or MS Access

We are currently putting together a proposal for an upgrade of an existing
system. I hope I have permission to use your methodology as part of the
package :-)

However in response to the original question; if the choice is really
between Paradox, dBase and Access do not rule out Paradox and dBase because
"Customer wants MS compatibility."

Delphi has the tools to work with MS Office and lots of good info available
on line (eg Deborah Pate or Charlie Calvert).

Most of my customers now expect to view their reports in Word or Excel.

BTW ever tried to import an Access table directly from within Excel?

It cannot be done. However Excel supports dBase format tables.

Mike

--
Mike Best Programming
Brisbane