How free is free for client/server?

Just quickly,

I'm being asked to consider client/server solutions and have been told that
the likes of Interbase and ADO are free.  Is this correct? Any catches?

Thanks

Alex

Re:How free is free for client/server?

> I'm being asked to consider client/server solutions and have been told
that
> the likes of Interbase and ADO are free.  Is this correct? Any catches?

The opensource version of Interbase is free (it's not called Interbase BTW).
I dont think the Borland version is. ADO is not a database but a method
through which you can connect to various databases such as MS-Access or
SQL-Server. There are various options with these two. Access is as good as
free. You can also get a cut down version of SQL-Server called MSDE that is
also as good as free. The full version of SQL-Server will cost cost you
something.

You should also look at DBISAM which has a light-weight client/server
solution that is free to distribute.

--
Craig van Nieuwkerk
www.rinossoftware.com

Re:How free is free for client/server?

In article <3c737ef8_1@dnews>, crai...@bigpond.com says...

> The opensource version of Interbase is free (it's not called Interbase BTW).
> I dont think the Borland version is.

        The open source version of InterBase is called InterBase Open
Edition, and is supplied by Borland in source code form at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/interbase.  Rob Scheick has set up an
automated build process, so if you want binaries of InterBase Open
Edition go to http://mers.com.

        Borland also produces certified editions of InterBase which are not
free but which are heavily tested and include additional features.  You
can purchase them via http://shop.borland.com

        There are open source forks of the InterBase code which are not
called InterBase, but it isn't correct to say that InterBase Open
Edition goes by some other name or that no free version is available
from Borland.

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:How free is free for client/server?

You can also look at Firebird which is basically Interbase. Visit
www.IBPhoenix.com. There's something of a tiff going on between the two
groups, so you won't see the Borland folks mentioning them.

"Alex Vasitch" <alex@deleteme_favour.com.au> wrote in message

> Just quickly,

> I'm being asked to consider client/server solutions and have been told
that
> the likes of Interbase and ADO are free.  Is this correct? Any catches?

> Thanks

> Alex

Re:How free is free for client/server?

A tiff? Firebird is a competitor. That's all.

--
Bill

Re:How free is free for client/server?

> The open source version of InterBase is called InterBase Open
> Edition, and is supplied by Borland in source code form at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/interbase.  Rob Scheick has set up an
> automated build process, so if you want binaries of InterBase Open
> Edition go to http://mers.com.

> Borland also produces certified editions of InterBase which are not
> free but which are heavily tested and include additional features.  You
> can purchase them via http://shop.borland.com

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise Borland has an Open Source
version of Interbase.

--
Craig van Nieuwkerk
www.rinossoftware.com

Re:How free is free for client/server?

In article <3c74d89e_2@dnews>, crai...@bigpond.com says...

> Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise Borland has an Open Source
> version of Interbase.

        If Borland hadn't open sourced it, the forks of IB could never
exist.  :)

        -Craig

     InterBase PLANalyzer (Free IB optimization tool):
          http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:How free is free for client/server?

And where does mysql fit in or isthat MSDE ?

thanks
jackie

"Craig" <crai...@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:3c737ef8_1@dnews...

> > I'm being asked to consider client/server solutions and have been told
> that
> > the likes of Interbase and ADO are free.  Is this correct? Any catches?

> The opensource version of Interbase is free (it's not called Interbase
BTW).
> I dont think the Borland version is. ADO is not a database but a method
> through which you can connect to various databases such as MS-Access or
> SQL-Server. There are various options with these two. Access is as good as
> free. You can also get a cut down version of SQL-Server called MSDE that
is
> also as good as free. The full version of SQL-Server will cost cost you
> something.

> You should also look at DBISAM which has a light-weight client/server
> solution that is free to distribute.

> --
> Craig van Nieuwkerk
> www.rinossoftware.com