Board index » delphi » Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help

Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help

Hey guys:
   I have gotten the Error :"Corrupt File other than Header" 2 to 3
times a day. The table that i am accessing is only 19MB; it seems that
i get this error when i am browsing through the data. I have an NT 4.0
and W2K accessing a NT Server. Both machines have BDE 5.0. I have
tried to rebuild the table with the TUtility but i have not had luck.
I have even bumped the block size to 16 and the problem is still
hunting me. The table has 59,000 + records. I do not know what else to
try. Please!!! does any one have any idea??

Geovanny Leiva

 

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


Check the table-language ... is it Ascii?  Sometimes the table language can
create a problem especially if there are non-maintained indexes.

Second, check the configuration of _all_ workstations.  Make sure the NET
FILE DIR setting is consistent and that LOCAL SHARE is TRUE.

[I do not believe that you need to fool with "opportunistic locking" or
somesuch on the server.]

Next... _when_ did the problem surface for the first time, and _what_ was
done to the network at or about that time?  

The number of records is not the problem.  BDE can handle tables a thousand
times that large.

Have you tried ChimneySweep?  We use algorithms entirely different from
those used by TUtility and might be able to shed light on the problem.

Quote
?Geovanny Leiva wrote:
> Hey guys:
>    I have gotten the Error :"Corrupt File other than Header" 2 to 3
> times a day. The table that i am accessing is only 19MB; it seems that
> i get this error when i am browsing through the data. I have an NT 4.0
> and W2K accessing a NT Server. Both machines have BDE 5.0. I have
> tried to rebuild the table with the TUtility but i have not had luck.
> I have even bumped the block size to 16 and the problem is still
> hunting me. The table has 59,000 + records. I do not know what else to
> try. Please!!! does any one have any idea??

----------------------------------
Fast automatic Paradox table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


Quote
Geovanny Leiva wrote:

>    I have gotten the Error :"Corrupt File other than Header" 2 to 3
> times a day.

At least you were not too exact and detailed, when describing what
kind of checks you have already made with your BDE and network
environment.

About 90% of all these problems will vanish when you:

a) Turn LocalShare = True on all the machines.
b) Verify, that BDE NetFileDir setting is right on all the machines.

I can quess, and I'm even quite certain, that this latter one has
been set wrong.

You can quickly test this by trying to edit some same record on two
of the machines.

For instance try edit John Smith record on your Customer database.
Check this editing with *every machine on your network*.
You should *not* be able to edit that record on any of the two
machines simultaneously, but BDE should prevent it.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


I have checked all the BDE settings in both machines. They look
exactly the same. LocalShare set to True and the NetDir is set to the
same thing in both machines even the same letter drive.The error
changes for the *.db table to its indexes, primary and secondary, but
most of the time is the secondary indexes. The machines running the
applications are one Win2K and the other is NT4 the server is a Win2k
server. The problem ONLY occurs when both of the machines are
accessing the data. If only one is working, it can work all the long
and the problem does not show up. If i rebuild the indexes, it works
for a few more minutes and then the problem shows up again.
Is there anything else i can check. I appreciate all your help and
time.

Geovanni Leiva

Quote
Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> wrote in message <news:3D86D180.3F9@iki.fi>...
> Geovanny Leiva wrote:

> >    I have gotten the Error :"Corrupt File other than Header" 2 to 3
> > times a day.

> At least you were not too exact and detailed, when describing what
> kind of checks you have already made with your BDE and network
> environment.

> About 90% of all these problems will vanish when you:

> a) Turn LocalShare = True on all the machines.
> b) Verify, that BDE NetFileDir setting is right on all the machines.

> I can quess, and I'm even quite certain, that this latter one has
> been set wrong.

> You can quickly test this by trying to edit some same record on two
> of the machines.

> For instance try edit John Smith record on your Customer database.
> Check this editing with *every machine on your network*.
> You should *not* be able to edit that record on any of the two
> machines simultaneously, but BDE should prevent it.

> Markku Nevalainen

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


(1) Remember that if the server computer is also running Paradox, and is one
of the ones being used or that _could_ be used to access the database, then
it is *critical* that LOCAL SHARE be turned on on the server computer.

(2) Set up an artificial test situation where one user is editing a record
and the other user now attempts to edit the same record.  The edit request
should be refused because someone else has the record locked; be certain
that this is so.  [Set a short "lock timeout," say 1 second, so that the
delay while waiting for a lock is minimal, but present.]

(3) Similarly, try placing a table-lock and verify that, indeed, the lock is
recognized.

(4) Make _absolutely_ sure that no other machines are working with the
table!  Do not "assume" anything.

(5) I am quite confident that the root cause of the problem will be a
mis-configured workstation (or server) somewhere.  Be extremely systematic
in analyzing this ... observe all, assume nothing, overlook nothing.

Quote
>Geovanny Leiva wrote:

> I have checked all the BDE settings in both machines. They look
> exactly the same. LocalShare set to True and the NetDir is set to the
> same thing in both machines even the same letter drive.The error
> changes for the *.db table to its indexes, primary and secondary, but
> most of the time is the secondary indexes. The machines running the
> applications are one Win2K and the other is NT4 the server is a Win2k
> server. The problem ONLY occurs when both of the machines are
> accessing the data. If only one is working, it can work all the long
> and the problem does not show up. If i rebuild the indexes, it works
> for a few more minutes and then the problem shows up again.
> Is there anything else i can check. I appreciate all your help and
> time.

----------------------------------
Fast automatic Paradox table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


Quote
Geovanny Leiva wrote:

> Is there anything else i can check. I appreciate all your help and
> time.

Well, to save some time on both sides, first you could give exact
report if you have tried and tested all the previous suggestions:(

Quote
> > For instance try edit John Smith record on your Customer database.
> > Check this editing with *every machine on your network*.
> > You should *not* be able to edit that record on any of the two
> > machines simultaneously, but BDE should prevent it.

So, have you done, and passed, this test on all your machines?

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


Quote
"Geovanny Leiva" <geovanny_le...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:cfd608cc.0209170801.6df4944c@posting.google.com...

Quote
> I have checked all the BDE settings in both machines. They look
> exactly the same. LocalShare set to True and the NetDir is set to the
> same thing in both machines even the same letter drive.

But are the drives on the two machines mapped to
the same location?

PR

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


Hey guys;
     I have preformed all the tests that you guys have suggested but
nothing has made my error stop showing up. I have been noticing that
the corrupt file hapends in the secondary indexes "most" of the time.
I am running in a NT server and i was reading about OpLocks that it
might help. Does anyone know if this is something i should look into??
or whould i be wasting my time?? Does anyone have any more ideas??
Thank you guys for your help.

Geovanni Leiva

Quote
"peterr" <pet...@freemail.absa.co.za> wrote in message <news:3d88fb5d$0$18848@hades.is.co.za>...
> "Geovanny Leiva" <geovanny_le...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:cfd608cc.0209170801.6df4944c@posting.google.com...
> > I have checked all the BDE settings in both machines. They look
> > exactly the same. LocalShare set to True and the NetDir is set to the
> > same thing in both machines even the same letter drive.

> But are the drives on the two machines mapped to
> the same location?

> PR

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


SORRY:
Try HERE (NOT ABOVE)
www.bdesupport.com/stability.htm

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

Re:Error: Corrupt File other than Header PLEASE Help


Try here: www.bdeupport.com/stability.htm

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

Other Threads