Is there an Interbase for AlphaServer ES40?

Is there a version of Interbase for (DEC) Alpha?

Either for the OS Tru64 from Compaq or for Linux running on Alpha?

Is a standard linux version running on every hardware that supports linux?

Is there only a certified version or is there also an opensource version?

Thanks!

Re:Is there an Interbase for AlphaServer ES40?

There is no version of IB for Alpha hardware. The Linux version of IB is for
Intel hardware only. There are both certified and open source versions of IB
6. You can download the open source binaries from http://mers.com.

--
Bill

Re:Is there an Interbase for AlphaServer ES40?

Tobias,

involved in working on a Firebird port.

Sean

Re:Is there an Interbase for AlphaServer ES40?

May be if you where thinking in paid for that build some one takes the time
and efford to port it to your desired processor. Remember that OS tell you
that the source is available but it doesn't force the availability of binary
builds. But, as the time and efford involved it could be a very high tag,
may be is easier if you use another machine (Intel machine) to do as IB
database server

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

Tobias K?hnlein <tobias.koehnl...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Is there a version of Interbase for (DEC) Alpha?
> Either for the OS Tru64 from Compaq or for Linux running on Alpha?
> Is a standard linux version running on every hardware that supports linux?
> Is there only a certified version or is there also an opensource version?
> Thanks!

The last version of InterBase for Alpha/VMS was AV-V4.0R for OpenVMS 7.1
released on 10th January 1998.
However I was involved for a time with a lengthy discussion with Compaq to
port 6.0 to Alpha/VMS for a large customer last year. They did start work on
this, but the customer decided to focus on NT rather than maintain their
existing Alpha/VMS base, so the work was never completed - unfortunately.

There has never been any other Alpha variant of InterBase, although the NT
intel version could run on Alpha NT using FX!32 (An intel to Alpha emulation
software). Mind you, we were asked a number of times for an Alpha NT port,
at the time it didn't seem economically feasible to do it.

We got burnt doing an NT MIPS port for somebody else, and ended up selling
about 3 copies.

Since InterBase has successfully been ported to Alpha in the past, it would
certainly be feasible to do it again.
Check Sean's message for the place where most of the current porting is
being done, if you are interested.

Regards
--
Paul Beach