16-bit BDE with 32-bit app?

Hi all,

I have a legacy app written in Delphi 1 which I am upgrading to a 32-bit
app in D5 with DBISAM. So I need to read the old Paradox tables and
transfer data to the new tables.

The problem is that I can't assume that my users have the 32-bit BDE,
and I don't want to have to do a full install of the 32-bit BDE. I could
do a partial install with just the Paradox drivers and then delete it
when I'm done, but I'm a little leery of that solution as well.

Is there any way of communicating with the 16-bit BDE from a 32-bit app
to read this data?

Thanks,
Aaron.

Re:16-bit BDE with 32-bit app?

Make a little 16-bit app that extracts the data you need to a csv format or
another format, which you then can transfer to the new tables.
--
Finn Tolderlund

"Aaron Sherber" <aa...@sherber.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> Is there any way of communicating with the 16-bit BDE from a 32-bit app
> to read this data?

Re:16-bit BDE with 32-bit app?

In article <3ecda...@newsgroups.borland.com>, n...@spam.dk says...

> Make a little 16-bit app that extracts the data you need to a csv format or
> another format, which you then can transfer to the new tables.

Unfortunately, my tables have BLOB fields in them. I do have a plan for
doing things as you suggest, but it will be a pain to implement. I'm
just looking for alternatives before I bite the bullet.

Thanks,
Aaron.

Re:16-bit BDE with 32-bit app?

Hi Aaron,

"Aaron Sherber" <aa...@sherber.com> wrote in message

> The problem is that I can't assume that my users have the 32-bit BDE,
> and I don't want to have to do a full install of the 32-bit BDE.

Why Not ? I had to do the same thing about a year ago. Given that todays
media is CD that should not be too much of a problem and even downloading it
is quick. Remember that you would not need to bother with SQL Links.

> Is there any way of communicating with the 16-bit BDE from a 32-bit app
> to read this data?

If you really must go down this path then, assuming your application is/can
be structured and your IO goes through a central point, you could uses
thunks to load a 16 bit version of your IO Layer (in a DLL!?!?) which of
course would communicate with IDAPI (16 bit).

At the end of the day it would be easier and better simply to go with the 32
Bit BDE. If the BDE is simply a short term solution I suggest that you bite
the bullet and start considering the long term solution and stick with 16
bit until you can migrate. If your final storage solution is a non-Paradox
database then the chances are that you will probably abandon the BDE anyway.

Leslie.

Other Threads