*** HEY BORLAND ***

In looking at several of the comments regarding availability of Delphi
3, I
called a few vendors and have found Delphi 3 available for sale (In
Stock).
I have since ordered it and should receive it next week.

With this is mind, I browsed over to your web site expecting to have
Delphi 3
information POKE me in the eye! To my surprise, there was no major
rollout
information on your page, and the information that was there, had to be
hunted
down several pages deep. hmmmm. Now if I were getting ready to promote
a new product, I think that I would plaster all that I could about the
new product
all over my site ... and more. There are virtually no adds about your
product... or they have been hidden quite well. I have seen more info on
this news group
than from Borland.

I think your advertising department needs a kick in the #$@& !

thanks,
Scott Martin

--

Scott Martin
Kvaerner FSSL, Inc.

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Scott Martin <smar...@firstnethou.com> wrote in article
<33669C57.9D747...@firstnethou.com>...

> ...I browsed over to your web site expecting to have
> Delphi 3
> information POKE me in the eye! To my surprise, there was no major
> rollout
> information on your page, and the information that was there, had to be
> hunted
> down several pages deep. hmmmm. Now if I were getting ready to promote
> a new product, I think that I would plaster all that I could about the
> new product
> all over my site ... and more. There are virtually no adds about your
> product... or they have been hidden quite well. I have seen more info on
> this news group
> than from Borland.

> I think your advertising department needs a kick in the #$@& !

Didn't you know they've got a new marketing technique at Borland!

Quite simple : play deaf, mute, blind, lame and hope people
dump their money in your pockets just out of compassion.
If this isn't original, then nothing is!
If this works, then everything works!

--
Guido Rooms
er...@skynet.be

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Sorry, I'm not from Borland, and I don't doubt their capability to answer
themselves;). I just have understood that the official release of D3.0
has not yet happened, and it will be probably sometimes during the next
two weeks.

I agree, that I don't understand why D3.0 is for sale and available, if
it has not been released. This kind of individual, inverse releasing
custom does not look very professional. I'll stay waiting for the
coming 4.0 release. Perhaps they'll change their marketing style, or I
get used of this new style:(

Markku Nevalainen

Scott Martin wrote:

> In looking at several of the comments regarding availability of Delphi
> 3, I
> called a few vendors and have found Delphi 3 available for sale (In
> Stock).
> I have since ordered it and should receive it next week.

> With this is mind, I browsed over to your web site expecting to have
> Delphi 3
> information POKE me in the eye! To my surprise, there was no major
> rollout
> information on your page, and the information that was there, had to be
> hunted
> down several pages deep. hmmmm. Now if I were getting ready to promote
> a new product, I think that I would plaster all that I could about the
> new product
> all over my site ... and more. There are virtually no adds about your
> product... or they have been hidden quite well. I have seen more info on
> this news group
> than from Borland.

> I think your advertising department needs a kick in the #$@& !

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Scott Martin <smar...@firstnethou.com> wrote in article
<33669C57.9D747...@firstnethou.com>...

> In looking at several of the comments regarding availability of Delphi
> 3, I
> called a few vendors and have found Delphi 3 available for sale (In
> Stock).
> I have since ordered it and should receive it next week.

> With this is mind, I browsed over to your web site expecting to have
> Delphi 3
> information POKE me in the eye! To my surprise, there was no major
> rollout
> information on your page, and the information that was there, had to be
> hunted
> down several pages deep.

The Delphi 3 web launch is next week.  Stay tuned.
--
     - Steve Teixeira
       steixe...@corp.borland.com

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Markku Nevalainen  <mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote:

>I agree, that I don't understand why D3.0 is for sale and available, if
>it has not been released. This kind of individual, inverse releasing
>custom does not look very professional. I'll stay waiting for the
>coming 4.0 release. Perhaps they'll change their marketing style, or I
>get used of this new style:(

Well, I guess you can't please everybody. When they release a product
late, overdue, behind schedule, over budget, everyone complains. And when
they release Delphi3 ahead of schedule, everyone complains.

--
Lucian Wischik, Queens' College, Cambridge CB3 9ET. ljw1...@cam.ac.uk

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

> Is it so hard to grasp the concept that Borland wants to fill
> up the distribution channels before doing an official kick-off?
> Naturally, things will happen that are outside of Borland's
> control.

> I believe the people at Borland realize they will never please
> the loud-mouth whiners, so they just try to do what's sensible.
> That thought gives me great pleasure.

> Keith Meade
> kme...@ibm.net

Borland has been providing numerous presentations regarding Delphi 3
in several places all over the world. The problem I see is that w/ all
of the
oportunities they are missing especially on their own web site.
Presentation
is everything when you want to promote a product. You may have the best
product in the world, but if no one knows about it... Look at M$, they
are the
what their are due to product hype, not super products... as Borland has
always
IMO provided superior programming tools. If you have the money to
market, you
pave the way. To make the money, you have to market the product.

As for the loud mouth whiners, yes you are correct that is very
difficult to please
everyone, and my comment was to try and kick Borland it the arse a
little, as I truely
hope that Delphi 3 is the first step to help borland climb to where they
belong. I have
used their products since I can remember and regard their programming
products as
very useful, but you have to let the world know what you have, or at
least what you
plan to have in the future!

Thanks,
Scott
--

Scott Martin
Kvaerner FSSL, Inc.

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

L.J. Wischik wrote:

> Well, I guess you can't please everybody. When they release a product
> late, overdue, behind schedule, over budget, everyone complains. And when
> they release Delphi3 ahead of schedule, everyone complains.

I think they are on schedule with D3, not ahead, not late. And my modest wish
was only to see D3 released "properly".

I remember that M$ gave thousands of Win95 beta releases for testers around the
world. But no one got the final commercial version in their hands before the
product was released on 14th of August 1995. So the whole world kept their
breath when waiting for The day.

Now there are maybe thousands of final D3 packages sold and delivered, though
the product is not even released. They can't even keep the Borland www-pages
updated about this product, because "product has not been released".

I must say, that in this releasing case I like more about MS's military style
discipline. It is clear, and works world wide, through all their distribution
channel. Everyone can see that MS is the who leads the orchestra, when talking
about their own products.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Steve Teixeira wrote:
> --
>      - Steve Teixeira
>        steixe...@corp.borland.com

Steve - that seems to be about two weeks after the product shipped. This
is stupid.

Regards
Mark Smith
London

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

If they did the product launch BEFORE they shipped,
wouldn't folks be
complaining about that too?

"This is stupid!  I can read about all these great
features, but I can't
buy the product!  Waaah!"

Mark Smith <msmi...@cix.co.uk> wrote in article
<3369B4F6....@cix.co.uk>...

> Steve Teixeira wrote:

> > --
> >      - Steve Teixeira
> >        steixe...@corp.borland.com

> Steve - that seems to be about two weeks after the

product shipped. This
> is stupid.

> Regards
> Mark Smith
> London

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> If they did the product launch BEFORE they shipped,
> wouldn't folks be
> complaining about that too?

> "This is stupid!  I can read about all these great
> features, but I can't
> buy the product!  Waaah!"

Why would it be so impossible to both release and keep the product
available at the same day or week?
It seemed not to be too difficult for M$ and Win95, and with product
volumes 10000 fold compared to D3.

Thank you! Now I feel I'm able to quit this particular topic.

Probably I'll soon go an get my copy of D3. I hope I'm not breaking
any rules of confidential by buying and using unofficial, unreleased
product version.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

> Steve - that seems to be about two weeks after the product shipped. This
> is stupid.

I like better that the product is avalible (local in shops) at the release
date, rather than having to wait - maybe weeks after the company claims
that their new product is out - before getting it.

Martin

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Markku Nevalainen <mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote in article
<336B7811.7...@netlife.fi>...

> Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> > If they did the product launch BEFORE they shipped,
> > wouldn't folks be
> > complaining about that too?
> Why would it be so impossible to both release and keep the product
> available at the same day or week?

Because it takes time to fill the stores and make sure there's appropriate
amounts in every store.  Generally this takes a bit more than a week.  Lots
of computer store employees don't know that they're not supposed to put the
product on the shelves before the release date--they don't even know what
the release date is!   The store gets the product from the distributor, and
puts it on the shelves the same day.  For development tools, which sell
only a fraction of the units of larger products, it's probably not worth
bothering to restrict the distribution processes to ensure the stores don't
make this mistake.

> It seemed not to be too difficult for M$ and Win95, and with product
> volumes 10000 fold compared to D3.

Not true.  Even MS wasn't able to keep some stores from selling Win95
before the official date.  The packages arrived in stores a week or two
before the official release, but several stores "improperly" sold the
product to customers before the official availability date.

-- Conrad Herrmann

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Steve Teixeira wrote:

> Scott Martin <smar...@firstnethou.com> wrote in article
> <33669C57.9D747...@firstnethou.com>...

> > In looking at several of the comments regarding availability of Delphi
> > 3, I
> > called a few vendors and have found Delphi 3 available for sale (In
> > Stock).
> > I have since ordered it and should receive it next week.

> > With this is mind, I browsed over to your web site expecting to have
> > Delphi 3
> > information POKE me in the eye! To my surprise, there was no major
> > rollout
> > information on your page, and the information that was there, had to be
> > hunted
> > down several pages deep.

> The Delphi 3 web launch is next week.  Stay tuned.
> --
>      - Steve Teixeira
>        steixe...@corp.borland.com

I got a Pgmer's paradise catalog today offering D3 for sale.  I wondered
if they could really sell it to me or if they jumped the gun.  I looked
at Borland's Delphi web page and it describes D2 as the Delphi product.
Very confusing.  Messages on the newsgroups and the Borland delphi
discussion group suggest D3 is on sale in many stores.

However, I read in those messages that most of the features I was
interested in are in the C/S version only.  Remote datasets, Internet
stuff, and maybe Active/X, COM and DCOM support.  My impression now is
that Borland is trying to push Pro owners into paying an extra $ 1000 to
get the good features.  And $ 1000 per upgrade after that.

This all sounds as if Borland has given up on volume sales for Delphi
and is just milking the existing customers.  If that is true, you will
not have to worry about year 2000 problems.

A number of messages said that the Pro package lists Internet support
features which are not included in the software in the box.  If that is
true, it is a major PR problem and lawsuit material.

I think you had better get your story out immediately and it had better
be good.

I have been a loyal customer since TP1, TC 1, and D1 beta.  I think
Borland is close to being a write-off for me.  I'll continue to use
Delphi myself for the wonderful IDE and VCL.  However, I can't see
recommending Delphi to a client. Or using it for a deliverable piece of
software.

Bill Hunt

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

: William Hunt <wjh...@ccnet.com> wrote:

>However, I read in those messages that most of the features I was
>interested in are in the C/S version only.  Remote datasets, Internet
>stuff, and maybe Active/X, COM and DCOM support.  My impression now is
>that Borland is trying to push Pro owners into paying an extra $ 1000 to
>get the good features.  And $ 1000 per upgrade after that.

Do not speculate about things you have no idea about.

Jeroen Pluimers posted a URL containing *complete* product
information about 4-5 days ago to c.l.p.d.misc. This URL was on
the Borland WWW server.

I asked Borland Customer Service here in Germany back in March
for the release of Delphi 3 and I was told that the official
release would be early May.

Further, as Steve Teixeira has stated elsewhere already, REMOTE
datasets and InterNET support do have something in common with
Client/Server technology, don't they?

EVERYTHING else that is NOT CLEARLY C/S is in D3 PRO, shipped to
me 31 April by Borland Germany. So, just to enumerate a few
features: ActiveX, (D)COM, Internet support through OCXs, easy
internationalization, the VCL sources etc...

Also nobody forces you to buy the C/S upgrade each time.

>This all sounds as if Borland has given up on volume sales for Delphi
>and is just milking the existing customers.  If that is true, you will
>not have to worry about year 2000 problems.

Delphi 3 is the BEST release of a product I have seen from
Borland for YEARS. Most complete, GOOD documentation.

>A number of messages said that the Pro package lists Internet support
>features which are not included in the software in the box.  If that is
>true, it is a major PR problem and lawsuit material.

PRO DOES contain Internet support. It is "only" provided in form
of OCXs (the Netmanage suite).

>I think you had better get your story out immediately and it had better
>be good.

I think you should better try to get reliable information FIRST
and not speculate on rumours.

>I have been a loyal customer since TP1, TC 1, and D1 beta.  I think
>Borland is close to being a write-off for me.  I'll continue to use
>Delphi myself for the wonderful IDE and VCL.  However, I can't see
>recommending Delphi to a client. Or using it for a deliverable piece of
>software.

What a pity.
--
Stefan.Hoffmeis...@UNI-Passau.DE
http://kakadu.rz.uni-passau.de/~w4hoff01/

Re:*** HEY BORLAND ***

Or maby the case is that Borland has shipped the packages to the suppliers
specifically saying "Don't sell this until the date of the official
release" but the suppliers have sold it anyway.... it have happened
before..

> Sorry, I'm not from Borland, and I don't doubt their capability to answer
> themselves;). I just have understood that the official release of D3.0
> has not yet happened, and it will be probably sometimes during the next
> two weeks.

> I agree, that I don't understand why D3.0 is for sale and available, if
> it has not been released. This kind of individual, inverse releasing
> custom does not look very professional. I'll stay waiting for the
> coming 4.0 release. Perhaps they'll change their marketing style, or I
> get used of this new style:(

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads