Weird, Weird De{*word*81} Problem

I'm using Borland C++ 5.01 and I'm encountering the strangest problem. I
write DOS programs to collect experimental reaction time data from humans.
I've always written my programs in the IDE and tested them as I went along
by choosing Turbo De{*word*81} from the Tools menu. This has always brought up
the DOS de{*word*81} with my program loaded and life was good.

So, I'm in a new place and trying to write a new program. Wrote the first
bit of code and went to test it. The DOS window for the de{*word*81} came up and
I got a GPF. Locked up the machine. Rebooted, tried again, same result.
After reboot, loaded an old project and tried loading the de{*word*81}. Worked
fine. Tried another old project - worked fine. Tried my new project - locked
the machine again. Deleted all of the new files and recreated the project
(including source code). Locked up the machine as I tried loading the
de{*word*81}.

I've tried creating a different directory for this project with the same
results. My old projects all seem to work ok, but anything new won't. I can
load my file into the de{*word*81} if I start the de{*word*81} from the start menu
and then use the file open command from inside the de{*word*81}, but that just
adds extra steps. Anyone got any ideas on what might be happening on my
machine?

TIA,
Larry

Re:Weird, Weird De{*word*81} Problem

Let me guess, this last project is larger than all the old ones?  We ran
into the same problem on 452. You simply run out of memory. If you find an
answer, I would love to here it.

    Paul

"Paul Sorah" <pso...@voyager.net> wrote in message news:3a6ecfac_2@dnews...
> Let me guess, this last project is larger than all the old ones?  We ran
> into the same problem on 452. You simply run out of memory. If you find an
> answer, I would love to here it.

>     Paul

Paul,

Actually, size doesn't seem to be a problem. The problem occurs even when my
source code is just:

int main(void)
{
    printf("Hello world");
    return 0;

}

I thought it might be something to do with path names, but the project is in
c:\code\mods - no long file names involved. I'm completely puzzled.

Larry

Re:Weird, Weird De{*word*81} Problem

This is just a thought.  You didn't mention if your operating system is a
flavor of DOS only or a flavor of Windows (the lockup symptom would help
diagnose the problem depending on the OS).  But my thought was, have you
checked your pathnames in your project?  Those can be different project to
project and maybe the ones in your projects that work are correct but when
you make new ones the default paths are used and they're wrong.  Perhaps
wrong enough so that the program might load but maybe it can't find other
files it needs.
Like I said, just a thought.

Phil

Other Threads