Help - Splash screens and resource load problems

The quick question - how can I create a splash screen elegantly?
    If I create the splash form first, Delphi makes it my main window,
    which is kludgy.

The detailed question - I am attempting to reduce the hideous resource
    requirements that complex TabbedNotebook and TabSets seem to cause.
    From what I can see, Delphi creates tanned notebook pages and
    notebooks dynamically, but never releases them from memory.
    I see some sense to this for conceptual simplicity, but it's
    killing my resource usage.

    I'm trying to circumvent this by creating many forms, each
    containing one single-page notebook, and then associating
    a notebook from one of the forms with my tabbed notebook
    on my main window form.

    To do this, I would like to first create my main form, then
    *** during it's OnCreate method ***, create the first form
    holding the first notebook to be displayed.

    The problem - I can associate the notebook with the tabbed
    notebook fine, but since the notebook-holding form is actually
    finished it's OnCreate before my main window finishes its
    OnCreate, Delphi assumes the wrong main window.

    The Application.MainWindow property is read-only, and I am stuck.

    Can anyone help? Pleeeeeze?

Kemp Watson  k...@interlog.com
Watson  Industrial  Software
Toronto,  Ontario,  Canada
____________________________

Q. How do you start a small business in Canada?
A. Start a large business, and wait ...

Re:Help - Splash screens and resource load problems

k...@interlog.com (Kemp Watson) wrote:
>The quick question - how can I create a splash screen elegantly?

[...]

>    The problem - I can associate the notebook with the tabbed
>    notebook fine, but since the notebook-holding form is actually
>    finished it's OnCreate before my main window finishes its
>    OnCreate, Delphi assumes the wrong main window.

Hop over to Borland's web page, "http://www.borland.com/
TechInfo/delphi/devcorn/techtips/splash.html" and check out their
solution (which will point you in the right direction on your related
problem).

Someone else posted a splash solution, but I can't find my reference
to it, now.

Piglet

Other Threads