# colors in a TBitmap for speedbutton

Is there any problem using 256 color bitmaps
for speedbuttons rather than 16 colors.  I thought
I read somewhere that 16 is the standard and that
there was some problem not using 16 colors.

Thanks,

Bob Lincoln

Re:# colors in a TBitmap for speedbutton

Robert M. Lincoln wrote in message <6nqqt8$f...@forums.borland.com>...
>Is there any problem using 256 color bitmaps
>for speedbuttons rather than 16 colors.  I thought
>I read somewhere that 16 is the standard and that
>there was some problem not using 16 colors.

Bob:

In 256 color mode, Windows normally reserves 20 of the 256 colors for
display of buttons, panels, etc.
The remaining 236 colors are for the application.

Each 256 color bitmap can have its own set of 236 colors.  So the use of
multiple bitmaps can be a problem without a lot of work to compute an
"optimal" palette.

If you're working in high color (15/16-bit color mode), or true color
(24-bits/pixel), then you shouldn't have any problems.

efg
efg's Computer Lab:  http://infomaster.net/external/efg

Earl F. Glynn                 E-Mail:  EarlGl...@att.net
MedTech Research Corporation, Lenexa, KS  USA

Other Threads