SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

I don't succeede to connect properly to SQL Server 2000 (i.e. version 8.0)
installed on Windows 2000 Server system.
I try to connect
 - from a Windows 2000 Professional system where Delphi 6 Enterprise, with
BDE 5.2, is installed,
 - via BDE native driver MSSQL.
Does anybody work in the same or equivalent context ?
I would like to compare the configurations.

Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

You can connect to MSSQL 200 with the BDE, but you won't be able to read
these field types: nchar, nvarchar and next. What error are you getting?

I strongly recommend using ADO for MSSQL.

--

Alain Quesnel
cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

"Jacek Komorowski" <jkomorow...@larkconsultants.com> wrote in message

> I don't succeede to connect properly to SQL Server 2000 (i.e. version 8.0)
> installed on Windows 2000 Server system.
> I try to connect
>  - from a Windows 2000 Professional system where Delphi 6 Enterprise, with
> BDE 5.2, is installed,
>  - via BDE native driver MSSQL.
> Does anybody work in the same or equivalent context ?
> I would like to compare the configurations.

> Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Make that nchar, nvarchar and ntext.

--

Alain Quesnel
cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

"Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> You can connect to MSSQL 200 with the BDE, but you won't be able to read
> these field types: nchar, nvarchar and next. What error are you getting?

> I strongly recommend using ADO for MSSQL.

> --

> Alain Quesnel
> cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

> "Jacek Komorowski" <jkomorow...@larkconsultants.com> wrote in message
> > I don't succeede to connect properly to SQL Server 2000 (i.e. version
8.0)
> > installed on Windows 2000 Server system.
> > I try to connect
> >  - from a Windows 2000 Professional system where Delphi 6 Enterprise,
with
> > BDE 5.2, is installed,
> >  - via BDE native driver MSSQL.
> > Does anybody work in the same or equivalent context ?
> > I would like to compare the configurations.

> > Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Alain,

I don't need the Unicode data types.

I try to work via BDE (version 5.2) on a remote (W2K box) MS SQL Server 2K
(Developer Edition).
For the moment I use DbExplorer as a client application.
When I open (click on + sign to the left of the BDE alias) the Master
database on the server, I do get an access. I write "an access" because it
doesn't seem complete. Let me tell what anomalities I observe :

1. Before I try to investigate the Master's content I notice that the first
line in the right-hand pane of DbExplorer displays

    Type    MSSQL: Unknown Version: Mapping error: Bad template: SQL
Server[^0-9]*([0-9]+)\.

instead of

    Type    MSSQL

which was there before Master opening.
This is already sufficiently annoying. Nevertheless, I tried to use the
connection and I encoutered several other erronous situations.

2. I can create MyDatabase on the server (via CREATE DATABASE addressed to
Master).

3. I can open Master's table Data Types and even I can create my proper
types (with sp_addtype of Trans-SQL).

4. I can open Master's tables Tables, Views, Procedures, Defaults, Rules and
Groups.

5. When I try to open the Master's table Logins I get the error (BDE 13059,
Server 207) message :
"General SQL error. Invalid column name 'suid'."

6. When I try to open the Master's table Users I get the DbExplorer error
message :
"Mapping error : Login reference attrs (User): General SQL error. Invalid
column name 'suid'."

7. When I try to open the Master's table Segments I get the error (BDE
13059, Server 10025) message :
"General SQL error. Possible network error: Write to SQL Server Failed.
General network error.  Check your documentation."

8. When I try to open the Master's table Devices I get the DbExplorer error
message :
"Property mirrorname does not exist."

Any suggestion may be salvatory ;-).

Jacek

> You can connect to MSSQL 200 with the BDE, but you won't be able to read
> these field types: nchar, nvarchar and next. What error are you getting?

> I strongly recommend using ADO for MSSQL.

> --

> Alain Quesnel
> cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Jacek,

   Do not use the DBExplorer for MSSQL database administration, always
Enterprise Manager for those kind of tasks.

Good luck,
krf

> Any suggestion may be salvatory ;-).

> Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Kevin,

I do *not* use DbExplorer for MSSQL database administration. I use it in my
tests of database connection as a client application.
In my tests it replaces my own application.

My tests consist in connecting from the client application (DbExplorer) to
Master database on the server. I am not going to administer it but only
examine the Master's objects which the client (DbExplorer) presents me in
its user interface. Those objects are the following tables : Data types,
Tables, Views, logins etc.
I observe that already the mere Master opening results in a pathology,
namely erronous databese
Type=MSSQL: Unknown Version: Mapping error: Bad template: SQL
Server[^0-9]*([0-9]+)\.
instead of Type=MSSQL.

If you have SQL Server 200 and Delphi6, could you be so kind, please, and
check whether you see the same erronous database Type when you connect from

"Kevin Frevert" <kfrev...@midwayusa.com> wrote in message

> Jacek,

>    Do not use the DBExplorer for MSSQL database administration, always
> Enterprise Manager for those kind of tasks.

> Good luck,
> krf

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

SUID was depracated in SQL7 and removed in SQL2000, from SQL2000 BOL:

Remarks
In SQL Server 7.0, the security identification number (SID) replaces the
server user identification number (SUID).

SUSER_SID returns a SUID only for a login that has an entry in the syslogins
system table.

System functions can be used in the select list, in the WHERE clause, and
anywhere an expression is allowed, and must always be followed by
parentheses (even if no parameter is specified).

Examples
This example returns the login identification number for the sa login.

SELECT SUSER_ID('sa')

-Euan

> Alain,

> I don't need the Unicode data types.

> I try to work via BDE (version 5.2) on a remote (W2K box) MS SQL Server 2K
> (Developer Edition).
> For the moment I use DbExplorer as a client application.
> When I open (click on + sign to the left of the BDE alias) the Master
> database on the server, I do get an access. I write "an access" because it
> doesn't seem complete. Let me tell what anomalities I observe :

> 1. Before I try to investigate the Master's content I notice that the
first
> line in the right-hand pane of DbExplorer displays

>     Type    MSSQL: Unknown Version: Mapping error: Bad template: SQL
> Server[^0-9]*([0-9]+)\.

> instead of

>     Type    MSSQL

> which was there before Master opening.
> This is already sufficiently annoying. Nevertheless, I tried to use the
> connection and I encoutered several other erronous situations.

> 2. I can create MyDatabase on the server (via CREATE DATABASE addressed to
> Master).

> 3. I can open Master's table Data Types and even I can create my proper
> types (with sp_addtype of Trans-SQL).

> 4. I can open Master's tables Tables, Views, Procedures, Defaults, Rules
and
> Groups.

> 5. When I try to open the Master's table Logins I get the error (BDE
13059,
> Server 207) message :
> "General SQL error. Invalid column name 'suid'."

> 6. When I try to open the Master's table Users I get the DbExplorer error
> message :
> "Mapping error : Login reference attrs (User): General SQL error. Invalid
> column name 'suid'."

> 7. When I try to open the Master's table Segments I get the error (BDE
> 13059, Server 10025) message :
> "General SQL error. Possible network error: Write to SQL Server Failed.
> General network error.  Check your documentation."

> 8. When I try to open the Master's table Devices I get the DbExplorer
error
> message :
> "Property mirrorname does not exist."

> Any suggestion may be salvatory ;-).

> Jacek

> "Alain Quesnel" <cinqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > You can connect to MSSQL 200 with the BDE, but you won't be able to read
> > these field types: nchar, nvarchar and next. What error are you getting?

> > I strongly recommend using ADO for MSSQL.

> > --

> > Alain Quesnel
> > cinqsanss...@compuserve.com

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Euan,

As far as I understand your remarks, it seems that DbExplorer delivered with
Delphi6 isn't aware that the Server2K Master's table Logins has no more the
column suid (which, as you say, was replaced by sui). This may originate in
Microsoft's DBLIB or Borland's BDE5.2 or somewhere else.

Anyway, your remark indicates that something is not updated.

Since I never read an official Borland statement that MS SQL Server 2000 can
NOT be accessed with BDE,
I would be very grateful to hear from somebody who connects to MS SQL Server
2000 from any version of BDE.

Jacek

"Euan Garden" <euan_gar...@spicedham.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> SUID was depracated in SQL7 and removed in SQL2000, from SQL2000 BOL:

> Remarks
> In SQL Server 7.0, the security identification number (SID) replaces the
> server user identification number (SUID).

> SUSER_SID returns a SUID only for a login that has an entry in the
syslogins
> system table.

> System functions can be used in the select list, in the WHERE clause, and
> anywhere an expression is allowed, and must always be followed by
> parentheses (even if no parameter is specified).

> Examples
> This example returns the login identification number for the sa login.

> SELECT SUSER_ID('sa')

> -Euan

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Jacek,

   Here you go:

Good luck,
krf

BTW, we have apps developed against MSSQL 6.5 to7.0 and now 2000 without any
problems with the BDE.

indicates that something is not updated.

> Since I never read an official Borland statement that MS SQL Server 2000
can
> NOT be accessed with BDE,
> I would be very grateful to hear from somebody who connects to MS SQL
Server
> 2000 from any version of BDE.

> Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Jacek,

  I tried and had no problems viewing Master database information with
Borland's SQL Explorer (dbexplor.exe), is that what you are using?

Good luck,
krf

> If you have SQL Server 200 and Delphi6, could you be so kind, please, and
> check whether you see the same erronous database Type when you connect
from
> DbExplorer to Master database ?

> Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Kevin,

So, let me check once more.
1. You are in DbExplorer,
2. You *open* an alias which refers to the remote SQL Server 2000 Master
database,
3. The tree-view branch under the alias is deployed.
4. The first line in the DbExplorer's right-hand pane reads
    Type    MSSQL
    and nothing else.

If it's *exactly* as above, you have a configuration I am looking for.
Then, let me ask you to send me by mail a screen copies of the
Version Information dialog accessible in DbExplorer or in BDEAdministrator.
AFAIK, there is no way to dump the dialog as a text but it can be captured
as two
screen copies. That way I will know exactly what are the BDE files you use.

Thank you in advance,

> Jacek,

>   I tried and had no problems viewing Master database information with
> Borland's SQL Explorer (dbexplor.exe), is that what you are using?

> Good luck,
> krf

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Kevin

> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20791,00.html
> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,19565,00.html
> http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,19694,00.html

All of them concern SQL Server 7 (I mean, nothing specific for 2000).
I have impression to respect all indications contained in those articles.

> BTW, we have apps developed against MSSQL 6.5 to7.0 and now 2000 without
any
> problems with the BDE.

It's very optimistic. Now, I would like to reproduce your configuration; cf.
my other replay I address you in this thread.

Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Jacek,

  Yes, I see the "Unknown version mapping...." in the Type row now.  I
thought you were getting an exception that was preventing you from viewing
metadata information.

Just curious,  what exactly is the problem?

krf

> Kevin,

> So, let me check once more.

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Jacek,

   Microsoft didn't change a great deal from 7.0 to 2000.  Those articles
still apply.

Our configuration wouldn't be any different than yours.  If your developing
new apps, don't use the BDE, I recommend ADO.  There is no guarantee
Microsoft will continue DBLib (which the BDE uses) support for future
versions of MSSQL.

Good luck,
krf

> Kevin

> > http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20791,00.html
> > http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,19565,00.html
> > http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,19694,00.html
> All of them concern SQL Server 7 (I mean, nothing specific for 2000).
> I have impression to respect all indications contained in those articles.

> > BTW, we have apps developed against MSSQL 6.5 to7.0 and now 2000 without
> any
> > problems with the BDE.
> It's very optimistic. Now, I would like to reproduce your configuration;
cf.
> my other replay I address you in this thread.

> Jacek

Re:SQL Server 2000 access via BDE

Kevin,

>>Just curious,  what exactly is the problem?<<

That means, there are at least two men in the world interested by the issue
;-).

Few days ago, when I connected to Master database I noticed that
pathological Type row. I was embarased but I started to open consecutive
objects (Data types, Tables, Views, and so on) of the Master database. I did
that *only* to see how database reading works via that strange connection.
Some objects were accessible, some weren't. This is precisely described
(with error messages) in my post of May 1, 19:01 in this thread. This is the
matter of merely clicking the sign + next to those objects.
Could you perform those clicks and compare the results with those I
described in the post.
Then we shall examine further anomalities I experience.

> Jacek,

>   Yes, I see the "Unknown version mapping...." in the Type row now.  I
> thought you were getting an exception that was preventing you from viewing
> metadata information.

> Just curious,  what exactly is the problem?

> krf

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads