MS-Access and ODBC Problems

Hi there,

i have many Performance problems with my application.

I write this application with Delphi 3 and BDE 4.51 and an ODBC Driver
(the newest),
if i start my application i see that 2 Tempfiles where created in the
TEMP Path!
1. JETBB.TMP (20 KB)
2. INMEM000.REM  (150 MB)

The INMEM000.REM was the biggest file , but why the Files was created ??

Need i this Temp files ? If yes, can change some properties to make a
smaler File ?

Please help me!

Peter Gehle
Gig...@hewa.de

Re:MS-Access and ODBC Problems

Peter Gehle wrote in message <35769829.D0183...@hewa.de>...
>Hi there,

>i have many Performance problems with my application.

>I write this application with Delphi 3 and BDE 4.51 and an ODBC Driver
>(the newest),
>if i start my application i see that 2 Tempfiles where created in the
>TEMP Path!
>1. JETBB.TMP (20 KB)
>2. INMEM000.REM  (150 MB)

>The INMEM000.REM was the biggest file , but why the Files was created ??

>Need i this Temp files ? If yes, can change some properties to make a
>smaler File ?

>Please help me!

>Peter Gehle
>Gig...@hewa.de

I ask myself why you are using ODBC driver because Delphi 3 has
NATIVE driver for MS ACCESS.
advantage : more quick
You must have BDE 4.5 and IDDA3532.DLL in your
BDE config at "DLL32" option. That's all !

Re:MS-Access and ODBC Problems

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:42:04 +0200, "Godinas-Andrien Alain"

<agodinas-andr...@addx.be> wrote:
>I ask myself why you are using ODBC driver because Delphi 3 has
>NATIVE driver for MS ACCESS.
>advantage : more quick
>You must have BDE 4.5 and IDDA3532.DLL in your
>BDE config at "DLL32" option. That's all !

Unless you can point out where I am mistaken, here's a good reason
that I just came across:  It seems that the native driver {*word*88}s when
attempting to access a table that has field names approaching the 64
char wide size.

Now I am forced to use the ODBC, and having real fun. <groan>  I can
open the tables in design time, but in run time I get:

General SQL Error.
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Too few parameters.
Expected 7.

(Anyone come across this before?)

Re:MS-Access and ODBC Problems

Yes for me it usually indicates that I have incorrectly named a field in
the SQL as compared to its true name in the database table or you may be
calling a field that does not exist.

Do you change your SQL at run time and if so are the field names correct.

--
Bernhard Cotton
Johny5 Computer Services

Re:MS-Access and ODBC Problems

The problem does seem to be of an 'incorrectly named field' nature
alright, Bernhard.  Fortunately, it is not a show-stopper in my case.
I found that if I used a TQuery and did not set 'RequestLive' to True,
things would work fine for reading the table.

This would not be the case if I needed to update the table though.
Even with the TQuery, if I set 'RequestLive' to True, I get the same
error message as I get with TTables.

Looking at the fields, I think I see what the problem is.  The fields
that have names greater than 32 characters are truncated.  This would
{*word*222}up any SQL statements constructed behind the scenes.

As you probably know, Access permits up to 64 characters for a field
name.  Borland should rectify this in the native Access driver, don't
you think?

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998 14:45:35 +0930, Bernhard Cotton

In article <357a016e.31131...@forums.borland.com>, Donald Langkamp
<langkdNO_S...@worldgate.com> writes

>On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:42:04 +0200, "Godinas-Andrien Alain"
><agodinas-andr...@addx.be> wrote:

>>I ask myself why you are using ODBC driver because Delphi 3 has
>>NATIVE driver for MS ACCESS.
>>advantage : more quick
>>You must have BDE 4.5 and IDDA3532.DLL in your
>>BDE config at "DLL32" option. That's all !

>Unless you can point out where I am mistaken, here's a good reason
>that I just came across:  It seems that the native driver {*word*88}s when
>attempting to access a table that has field names approaching the 64
>char wide size.

>Now I am forced to use the ODBC, and having real fun. <groan>  I can
>open the tables in design time, but in run time I get:

>General SQL Error.
>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Too few parameters.
>Expected 7.

>(Anyone come across this before?)

My own experience of MSACCESS versus MS Access ODBC drivers was the the
ODBC drivers were actually quicker but the SQL dialect was a bit more
restrictive, especially with Inner Joins.

--
David H. Bolton

Other Threads