Board index » delphi » Delphi as a Pascal compiler?

Delphi as a Pascal compiler?

Hello!
    I've got a question. I've set out to learn Pascal, and I was
wondering if it is possible to use Delphi Standard Edition *just* as a
compiler of Pascal programs? I know this would probably be overkill, but
as I was going to pay for the Turbo Pascal anyway, I figure I'd spring
for Delphi (which would give me the chance to learn Delphi down the
road). Does Delphi have a code editor? Is Delphi  Pascal ISO compliant?
Can I test straight Pascal code and write Pascal programs within Delphi?
It's probably a stupid question, but I'd hate to blow $100. . . .Thank
you in advance. . .Joab

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"making feet for children's shoes"
  -Tom Waits

jo...@charm.net

 

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


Quote
Joab Jackson wrote in message <347CFCD8.1A3ED...@bellatlantic.net>...
>Hello!
>    I've got a question. I've set out to learn Pascal, and I was
>wondering if it is possible to use Delphi Standard Edition *just* as a
>compiler of Pascal programs?

  Ummm...  Delphi IS Pascal... (it's visual pascal)..  There are of course,
a few differences (because of the visual interface), but in the end, it's
still pascal....

Quote
>It's probably a stupid question, but I'd hate to blow $100. . . .Thank
>you in advance. . .Joab

  If you're serious about programming, DO NOT BUY the desktop version...
Spend the extra money and pick up the developer's version...  It's well
worth the difference (manauls, VCL source code, etc..)  --  The desktop
version is almost a joke...

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software
Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us
--
"We are Microsoft.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is Futile
--

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


Quote
Joab Jackson wrote in message <347CFCD8.1A3ED...@bellatlantic.net>...
>Hello!
>    I've got a question. I've set out to learn Pascal, and I was
>wondering if it is possible to use Delphi Standard Edition *just* as a
>compiler of Pascal programs?

Sure you can, even if you don't want to use the visual capabilities of
Delphi, you can still use it in Console mode.  I like the Code Editor of
delphi a 1000 times better than Turbo Pascal.  Plus, you can always move on
to visual programming once you know the basics of Pascal and OOP.

Also, get the Developer verion, it's worth the money.

    Aziz,,,

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


Hi Joab

Quote
> Hello!
>     I've got a question. I've set out to learn Pascal, and I was
> wondering if it is possible to use Delphi Standard Edition *just* as a
> compiler of Pascal programs? I know this would probably be overkill, but
> as I was going to pay for the Turbo Pascal anyway, I figure I'd spring
> for Delphi (which would give me the chance to learn Delphi down the
> road). Does Delphi have a code editor? Is Delphi  Pascal ISO compliant?
> Can I test straight Pascal code and write Pascal programs within Delphi?
> It's probably a stupid question, but I'd hate to blow $100. . . .Thank
> you in advance. . .Joab

You can create a console app with {$apptype console} which looks like a pascal app at the
prompt. But it is also a real 32 bit program with all advantiges and disadavteges. If you would
like to code pascal from the root I would take pascal too.

Take a look at www.tmt.com

Sven

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


In article <65jmd8$56...@news.greatbasin.net>, "Jason Wallace"

Quote
<Dark...@SLSoftware.reno.nv.us> writes:
>>It's probably a stupid question, but I'd hate to blow $100. . . .Thank
>you
>in advance. . .Joab
>  If you're serious about programming, DO NOT BUY the
>desktop version...

Spend the extra money and pick up the developer's
Quote
>version...  It's well
>worth the difference (manauls, VCL source code, etc..)
>--  The desktop

version is almost a joke...

I agree; I bought the smaller version and wish I'd bought the developer's.
Then again, I'm also still using delphi 2.0 so it's time to upgrade
anyway....but I digress.

To answer your question, though, Delphi 2.0 (and presumably 3.0) lets you
develop standard Pascal programs just fine.  You have to set an option or two
in the project to generate what Delphi calls a "Console Mode" application.
These run in a DOS box.  Delphi 1.0 lets you include a unit, WinCRT to run
standard Pascal programs in a text window.

The only snag I see is that your class may use some of the fancier libraries
(Turbo's CRT and Graph units, for instance), which might be a problem if you
are learning this for a class.  If you're not doing it for a class, and you
already know general programming concepts, I'd suggest just learning Delphi.
You can do way cooler things (at least way quicker) than with standard Pascal.

Timothy Dixon
dixon...@aol.com
...insert appropriate apologies for using AOL...

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


Quote
DixonTim (dixon...@aol.com) wrote:

: To answer your question, though, Delphi 2.0 (and presumably 3.0) lets you
: develop standard Pascal programs just fine.  You have to set an option or two
: in the project to generate what Delphi calls a "Console Mode" application.
: These run in a DOS box.  Delphi 1.0 lets you include a unit, WinCRT to run
: standard Pascal programs in a text window.

I'm fairly new to Delphi, with no previous Pascal experience.
This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm curious to know:
can Delphi generate code for DOS or other operating systems,
or does this only work because you're running Windows behind
the scene, with your app in a DOS box?
--
============================================================
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net
============================================================

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


In article <65um74$gc...@news.ececs.uc.edu> carte...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Richard K Carter ) writes:

Quote
>From: carte...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Richard K Carter )
>Subject: Re: Delphi as a Pascal compiler?
>Date: 1 Dec 1997 15:47:48 GMT
>DixonTim (dixon...@aol.com) wrote:
>: To answer your question, though, Delphi 2.0 (and presumably 3.0) lets you
>: develop standard Pascal programs just fine.  You have to set an option or two
>: in the project to generate what Delphi calls a "Console Mode" application.
>: These run in a DOS box.  Delphi 1.0 lets you include a unit, WinCRT to run
>: standard Pascal programs in a text window.
>I'm fairly new to Delphi, with no previous Pascal experience.
>This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm curious to know:
>can Delphi generate code for DOS or other operating systems,
>or does this only work because you're running Windows behind
>the scene, with your app in a DOS box?

Its the second thing. Only with Delphi 2.0  or 3, and only in the Win95
DOS box.  The EXE acts like a DOS program though, for example accepting
<> redirection.
Mark Horridge email: mark.horri...@buseco.monash.edu.au

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


When creating a 'console mode application' (no such thing in D1...) can I use
the screen as a full screen graphics device (using my tried and true and *fast*
graphics routines) or is it restricted to text only?

Brad

Quote
>>DixonTim (dixon...@aol.com) wrote:
>>: To answer your question, though, Delphi 2.0 (and presumably 3.0) lets you
>>: develop standard Pascal programs just fine.  You have to set an option or
>two
>>: in the project to generate what Delphi calls a "Console Mode" application.

>>: These run in a DOS box.  Delphi 1.0 lets you include a unit, WinCRT to run
>>: standard Pascal programs in a text window.

BEVERNON

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


You may find it difficult if your app assumes that you have a windows
message handling loop somewhere, and 99.999% of windows apps do assume
this!

MH.

Verily, bever...@aol.com (BEVERNON) spake thus:

Quote
>When creating a 'console mode application' (no such thing in D1...) can I use
>the screen as a full screen graphics device (using my tried and true and *fast*
>graphics routines) or is it restricted to text only?
>Brad
>>>DixonTim (dixon...@aol.com) wrote:
>>>: To answer your question, though, Delphi 2.0 (and presumably 3.0) lets you
>>>: develop standard Pascal programs just fine.  You have to set an option or
>>two
>>>: in the project to generate what Delphi calls a "Console Mode" application.

>>>: These run in a DOS box.  Delphi 1.0 lets you include a unit, WinCRT to run
>>>: standard Pascal programs in a text window.

>BEVERNON

Re:Delphi as a Pascal compiler?


In article <664psp$3c...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Martin Harvey
<mc...@cam.ac.uk> writes

Quote

>Verily, bever...@aol.com (BEVERNON) spake thus:

>>When creating a 'console mode application' (no such thing in D1...) can I use
>>the screen as a full screen graphics device (using my tried and true and *fast*
>>graphics routines) or is it restricted to text only?
>>etc. etc.

Martin,

"spake thus" ?

God knows their impression of us is bad enough......

You should have used "spaketh thus".

Regards, Brian

============================================
m...@goldwood.demon.co.uk
============================================

Other Threads