Installshield deployment w/o overwriting BDE aliases

I'm trying to deploy several applications that *must* use
BDE aliases (data on MSSQL server).  If I tell Installshield
that I want to use the BDE, it then loads the files that I
need, and includes idapi32.cnf in the CNF group.  If I leave
it like this, the cnf-file will overwrite my user's
idapi32.cfg when the installshield-packed application is
deployed, thereby killing the old aliases.

If I delete the CNF group, and tell installshield to create
the aliases for me, at installation-time, these creation
requests are ignored.

If I leave the CNF group, but delete the CNF file from it,
then tell installshield to create the aliases for me; at
install-time, a non-fatal error is reported, but the aliases
are correctly merged with the user's current aliases.

My question is:  how do I get rid of the install-time error?

Re:Installshield deployment w/o overwriting BDE aliases

On Fri, 16 May 1997 15:53:14 -0400, "W. Harris"

<winh...@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu> wrote:
>If I delete the CNF group, and tell installshield to create
>the aliases for me, at installation-time, these creation
>requests are ignored.

Ignored? How? Did you read the help correctly at each step? Mail me.

>then tell installshield to create the aliases for me; at
>install-time, a non-fatal error is reported, but the aliases
>are correctly merged with the user's current aliases.

The non-fatal error is an error when it tries to merge/create empty groups.
Remove the group and the error will disappear. Just take out the option in
the BDE settings that you want to create a CNF file (am I correct there?).'

The error is minor, but just remove the CNF group. It should work.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=            Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/              =
=             Delphi Super Page: http://ftp.is.co.za/dsp/               =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =

Re:Installshield deployment w/o overwriting BDE aliases

On Fri, 16 May 1997 15:53:14 -0400, "W. Harris"

<winh...@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu> wrote:
>I'm trying to deploy several applications that *must* use
>BDE aliases (data on MSSQL server).  If I tell Installshield
>that I want to use the BDE, it then loads the files that I
>need, and includes idapi32.cnf in the CNF group.  If I leave
>it like this, the cnf-file will overwrite my user's
>idapi32.cfg when the installshield-packed application is
>deployed, thereby killing the old aliases.

>If I delete the CNF group, and tell installshield to create
>the aliases for me, at installation-time, these creation
>requests are ignored.

>If I leave the CNF group, but delete the CNF file from it,
>then tell installshield to create the aliases for me; at
>install-time, a non-fatal error is reported, but the aliases
>are correctly merged with the user's current aliases.

>My question is:  how do I get rid of the install-time error?

This may take some playing around to get rid of it.  But I think the
problem is that InstallShield is still trying to install the CNF file
even though you removed it from your project.

Look at where you have InstallShield installed.  I have Express 2.
They have a path below where the exe file is called:

Objs\Delphi2\Eng

There is a file called IsDepend.Ini.  Inside it is the following:

[BDE (Borland Database Engine)]
Name=BDE/IDAPI Files
Dest=<ProgramFilesDir>\Borland\Common Files\BDE
ReferTo1=BDE Support
Name2=BDE/IDAPI BLL Files
Dest2=<ProgramFilesDir>\Borland\Common Files\BDE
ReferTo2=BDE Support2
Name3=BDE/IDAPI CNF File
Dest3=<ProgramFilesDir>\Borland\Common Files\BDE
ReferTo3=BDE Support3

Maybe if you remove the Name3/Dest3 stuff, or say

Name3=

It might get rid of the error.  I think this is the stuff telling
InstallShield what to grab for the bde.

david sampson

dsamp...@atlanta.com

Other Threads