Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

Is there a GL_Get() to know if I'm actually rendering by HW or SW?

Thanks

--
Ral Andrs
5999...@entelpcs.cl

Re:Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

Hi,

i tried to find out if rendering by hardware is possible with OpenGl.

1. i don't know a chip which can do that
2. the computer do not have such a chip
3. if there is such a chip, it must be at the graphic-adapter
4. i didn't find a switch between hw and sw-rendering within OpenGL and no
hint for a special chip

I think s.o. wants us to animate to build such a logic by telling s.th.
about hw-support of OpenGL.

If s.o. knows better, tell us please.

Greeting Leo

Re:Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

> Is there a GL_Get() to know if I'm actually rendering by HW or SW?

glGetString and  gluGetString   those give you what implementation of
_OpenGL_ is in use if you use openGL that is...

Re:Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

Thanks Leo, but I think you didn't get the question, or perhaps I'm asking
wrong.

i) Can a Delphi application that uses OpenGL run on a PC without OpenGL
card?
ii) If that's correct, then the application is going to render by software,
instead of using the video card.
ii) I guess that situation can be detected in some way..

"Leo Baumann" <i...@leobaumann.de> wrote in message

> Hi,

> i tried to find out if rendering by hardware is possible with OpenGl.

> 1. i don't know a chip which can do that
> 2. the computer do not have such a chip
> 3. if there is such a chip, it must be at the graphic-adapter
> 4. i didn't find a switch between hw and sw-rendering within OpenGL and no
> hint for a special chip

> I think s.o. wants us to animate to build such a logic by telling s.th.
> about hw-support of OpenGL.

> If s.o. knows better, tell us please.

> Greeting Leo

Re:Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

That's funny,

do you know s.th. about a hardware-card that is used by OpenGL ?

It would be interesting for me.

Sorry , i can use the english language only here or somtimes in a newspaper.

Greeting Leo

Re:Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

To know if hardware acceleration is available:

- use DescribePixelFormat to get details on the pixel format you're using
- it will be software OpenGL if
        (pfDescriptor.dwFlags and PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT)<>0
  and hardware-accelerated otherwise

Eric Grange
http://glscene.org

Re:Am I rendering by Hardware or Software?

Thanks Eric

"Eric Grange" <egra...@glscene.org> wrote in message

> To know if hardware acceleration is available:

> - use DescribePixelFormat to get details on the pixel format you're using
> - it will be software OpenGL if
> (pfDescriptor.dwFlags and PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT)<>0
>   and hardware-accelerated otherwise

> Eric Grange
> http://glscene.org

Other Threads