free sql server ? Multi-tier app

Hi,

my client has 22 clients across country and wants a new system to access a central database (not using internet), to append data and read data.
He has 2MBit dedicated lines.

He wants to use Microsoft Access has the database. I tryed to convincve him otherwise, but he doesnt want to have to pay licenses, and he doesnt want his computer department to do the work. He wants a "simple" solution.

What do you sugest ? I'll develop the application (very simple, in D5 Enterprise) to access Access database and i'll create Paradox tables to compare speed.

Do you know any sql server license free ?
If i'll have to use a "file-sharing" approach, what do you advise me to do ? Shall i use BDE ?
Can i create a Multi-tier app with Paradox ?

thanks,

--
Pedro MG
creating software

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

 try interbase 4.0 for linux , its free.
i try interbase for redhat and work fine.
i think is good solution for free implementation.

regards.
Javier Donoso
http://www.sistemas21.com

  Pedro MG <supo...@tquadrado.com> escribi en el mensaje de noticias 8d2jc8$l...@bornews.borland.com...
[...]

Dear Pedro:

    If you want to have problems , then you can use Access to work with 22 clients if they access the database  at the same time. The MA blocking policies will give you some nice headaches ( and be sure I know thats true). Try to use IB linux , Postgresql, etc as  the are Open Source . If I were you and you can not convince your client not to work with Access  , dont accept the work.

                                                        Pablo
    Pedro MG escribi en mensaje <8d2jc8$l...@bornews.borland.com>...
[...]

Javier,
Tenes a mano el url para bajarte el ib 4.0 ?

Gracias,
Juan

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

You'll get poor performance with Access or Paradox over a 2 Mbs connection.  You need to use a server-based database like SQL server or Interbase.  Interbase 6 will be absolutely free to deploy and is tightly integrated with Delphi.

Dan
  Pedro MG <supo...@tquadrado.com> wrote in message news:8d2jc8$lq04@bornews.borland.com...
[...]

MSDE is also an option, but if this guy is just wanting a cheap way out, I'd say run away from him.  If he has a hard time paying license fees, he might also have a hard time paying you.

[...]

That is why he would do multiple tiers. DB to BL is local and utilizes
the high bandwidth available. BL to UI is remote and can run fine with
low bandwidth. DD ( Paradox,  Access, IB etc.) <-> BL ( Application
server , using MIDAS, obOvernet ASTA, Midware etc.) <-> UI ( Client with
the appropriate interface depending on the application server used).

Stilian

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

Please turn off your HTML posting.  HTML posting is against the rules of use for
the Borland newsgroups (www.borland.com\newsgroups).  Thank you.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
Maybe it was infatuation or the thrill of the chase.

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

All these middle-tier products have licensing fees, something he was trying
to avoid.

Dan

Stilian Elenkov <elenk...@vtls.com> wrote in message

> That is why he would do multiple tiers. DB to BL is local and utilizes
> the high bandwidth available. BL to UI is remote and can run fine with
> low bandwidth. DD ( Paradox,  Access, IB etc.) <-> BL ( Application
> server , using MIDAS, obOvernet ASTA, Midware etc.) <-> UI ( Client with
> the appropriate interface depending on the application server used).

> Stilian

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

<<You'll get poor performance with Access or Paradox over a 2 Mbs connection

You'll get fabulous performance with ASTA over that connection no matter
what database you choose and we support 20 different Delphi Database
Components on ASTA servers.

We even have one guy running on a 2400 baud connection with acceptable
performance.
For royalty free use check out DBISAM at www.elevatesoft.com

an ASTADbisamServer will fly over 2mbs lines. In fact we have an
ASTADbisamServer running all the time that shows ASTA's new XML support.

================================
ASTA Servers will soon be enabled to stream back XML for any select
statements. This technology will soon be available also for use in your
ISAPI,CGI, or other  applications with a DataSetToXML call.

We also have an XMLToDataSet call with NO COM used in preparation for ASTA
for Linux.

ASTA allows you to create thin client Delphi Applications that run over the
internet using your current Delphi Database skills.

We have an XML enabled ASTADbisamServer running at 63.224.240.86 port
9000

You can test it with

www.astatech.com/files/examples/AstaSQLXMLDemo.exe

just fill in 63.224.240.86 when it asks for an IPAddress.

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Code it once with ASTA and run it anywhere

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Code it once with ASTA and run it anywhere
Win32--> Java-> Coming -> Linux
ASTA Technology Group http://www.astatech.com

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

In article <8d7rr2$b...@bornews.borland.com>, sgarl...@astatech.com
says...

> You can test it with

> www.astatech.com/files/examples/AstaSQLXMLDemo.exe

Hi Steve,

I can't seem to run this app using IE5. It tries to download it which
makes me think maybe you haven't got the executable permissions set on
you web server. I've double checked to make sure I can run web apps on
my local web server.

Cheers,
Carl

Re:free sql server ? Multi-tier app

<<I can't seem to run this app using IE5. It tries to download it which
makes me think maybe you haven't got the executable permissions set on
you web server. >>

sorry, I should have been more explicit. It is an ASTA client application
which is a normal Delphi exe that uses the internet for a transport.
It will connect to an AstaDbisamServer and allow for queries and execsql
statements to be run, just like a bde application using a TQuery but of
course the BDE is not required on the client.

Optionally you can fetch the query as XML and *then* launch IE5 to view the
XML.

I suppose we need to show example of using our XML stuff in a cgi or Isapi
dll (or in an ASTA java client) but in this case the EXE must be downloaded
and run because it IS a normal EXE.

--
Steve Garland sgarl...@astatech.com
Code it once with ASTA and run it anywhere
Win32--> Java-> Coming -> Linux
ASTA Technology Group http://www.astatech.com

Other Threads