Board index » delphi » Form.Print prints blank page on some computers not others

Form.Print prints blank page on some computers not others

I'm having problems printing forms from some computers using the Print
method of TForm.  The result is always a blank page.  So far it appears to
effect only Win95 computers.  I suspect it is operating system related and
that the system has some dll or driver problems.  I am not printing direct
to the printer (using the spooler).  I've installed fresh printer drivers
but the problem still remains.  I've tried printing to three different
printers from the bad system and every one produces a blank page.  I can
print just fine from Word or other non VCL programs (this is what bothers
me).  I've taken screen captures and pasted into Word then stretched to fit
the page (this prints great).

Any ideas??

Thanks

 

Re:Form.Print prints blank page on some computers not others


Quote
Steve Westerhouse wrote:

> I'm having problems printing forms from some computers using the Print
> method of TForm.  The result is always a blank page.  So far it appears to
> effect only Win95 computers.  I suspect it is operating system related and
> that the system has some dll or driver problems.  

        You can say it's OS-related, but that's letting the VCL off the hook.
There *are* reliable ways of printing that work on nearly all machines,
it's just that Form.Print does not use them.  Form.Print simply does not
work well.

Quote
> Any ideas??

        See my other message.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz            Vertex Systems Corporation
Senior Developer        http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:Form.Print prints blank page on some computers not others


Thanks for the reply.  I  must have missed your other message.  Sorry.  If
you could please repost it.  I have tried other methods short of 100% pure
Win32 api calls.  One thing I tried was calling GetWinodwDC to get the title
bar as well as the client area then creating a canvas and rendering the
window image to it proportionally scaling to fill the largest page
dimension.  The same blank page prints.  It doesn't happen on all Windows 95
machines just 2 or 3 of them.

Thanks!

Quote
"Craig Stuntz" <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message

news:3965E659.2CFCAD6F@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com...
Quote

> Steve Westerhouse wrote:

> > I'm having problems printing forms from some computers using the Print
> > method of TForm.  The result is always a blank page.  So far it appears
to
> > effect only Win95 computers.  I suspect it is operating system related
and
> > that the system has some dll or driver problems.

> You can say it's OS-related, but that's letting the VCL off the hook.
> There *are* reliable ways of printing that work on nearly all machines,
> it's just that Form.Print does not use them.  Form.Print simply does not
> work well.

> > Any ideas??

> See my other message.

> -Craig

> --
> Craig Stuntz Vertex Systems Corporation
> Senior Developer http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Re:Form.Print prints blank page on some computers not others


Craig is correct, its not a OS problem.

Try the TExcellentFormPrinter demo code at:

http://www.code4sale.com/joehecht/

First try using it with the standard Delphi controls.

If it does not print, you have a driver problem, if it
does print, you can join the *many* other happy
TExcellentFormPrinter users that once had the
same problem.

Finally, as far as the Broland TI, "A better way to print a form"...
I wrote it and I will say its only a starting place, and is not a
commercially
viable solution. Many TExcellentFormPrinter customers try that solution
before comming on board.

Joe

Quote
"Steve Westerhouse" <west...@execpc.com> wrote in message

news:8k68q9$99q3@bornews.borland.com...
Quote
> Thanks for the reply.  I  must have missed your other message.  Sorry.  If
> you could please repost it.  I have tried other methods short of 100% pure
> Win32 api calls.  One thing I tried was calling GetWinodwDC to get the
title
> bar as well as the client area then creating a canvas and rendering the
> window image to it proportionally scaling to fill the largest page
> dimension.  The same blank page prints.  It doesn't happen on all Windows
95
> machines just 2 or 3 of them.

> Thanks!

> "Craig Stuntz" <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message
> news:3965E659.2CFCAD6F@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com...

> > Steve Westerhouse wrote:

> > > I'm having problems printing forms from some computers using the Print
> > > method of TForm.  The result is always a blank page.  So far it
appears
> to
> > > effect only Win95 computers.  I suspect it is operating system related
> and
> > > that the system has some dll or driver problems.

> > You can say it's OS-related, but that's letting the VCL off the hook.
> > There *are* reliable ways of printing that work on nearly all machines,
> > it's just that Form.Print does not use them.  Form.Print simply does not
> > work well.

> > > Any ideas??

> > See my other message.

> > -Craig

> > --
> > Craig Stuntz Vertex Systems Corporation
> > Senior Developer http://www.vertexsoftware.com

Other Threads