BDE to MSAccess Database

Hi all
I am having trouble linking to a MSAccess database through the BDE. I have
tried via two methods:

1. Using the ODBC DSN that we have set up. This is extremely slow - in the
vicinity of 3 minutes just to connect.

2. Using the native MSACCESS driver. I haven't been able to get this to go
because the system did not have DAO3032.dll installed. As soon as I managed
to get that installed, it errored - msjter32.dll was missing. Normally I
would just stick a copy of MSaccess on and be done with it but in this
situation the system that will be running the application is a server - NT4.

Regretfully, my knowledge of microsoft databases is minimal (we use
Interbase whenever we have the choice - this db was written by some
half-arsed contractor and now we are stuck with it) and I imagine these
questions to be pretty basic.

So, what is the normal process for installing the required libraries onto a
system to be able to use this native driver. Or, is there a better way of
doing it?

Thanks
Stephen Pepper

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

Stephen Pepper wrote in message <3a11b2c7_1@dnews>...
>Hi all
>I am having trouble linking to a MSAccess database through the BDE. I have
>tried via two methods:

>1. Using the ODBC DSN that we have set up. This is extremely slow - in the
>vicinity of 3 minutes just to connect.

>2. Using the native MSACCESS driver. I haven't been able to get this to go
>because the system did not have DAO3032.dll installed. As soon as I managed
>to get that installed, it errored - msjter32.dll was missing. Normally I
>would just stick a copy of MSaccess on and be done with it but in this
>situation the system that will be running the application is a server -
NT4.

You can try to in BDA Admin change the default provider DLL from DAO3032.dll
to DAO3035.dll (This is DAO 3.5) which are installed if you have Access 97
on your computer.

Ola Ekelund
SoftConsult SWEDEN

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

Try installing MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) which you can
download from www.microsoft.com/data. I believe that will install everything
you need.

--
Bill

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:58:20 -0700, "Bill Todd \(TeamB\)" <b...@dbginc.com>
wrote:

>Try installing MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) which you can
>download from www.microsoft.com/data. I believe that will install everything
>you need.

They may need to get a copy of MDAC 2.0 or an early copy of MDAC 2.1
though,  as the newer MDAC includes DAO v3.6 (for Access 2000) which is not
"BDE compatible" (IIRC).

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

The problem is that we really don't want to install Access (since it is a
server).
It seems crazy to have to install MS Access just to be able to read a .mdb
file.
We have tried installing just the drivers for Access 97 and this gave us the
DAO3032.dll but not the msjter32.dll that seem to be required also.

Ola Ekelund wrote in message <3a1283c0$1_2@dnews>...

>You can try to in BDA Admin change the default provider DLL from
DAO3032.dll
>to DAO3035.dll (This is DAO 3.5) which are installed if you have Access 97
>on your computer.

>Ola Ekelund
>SoftConsult SWEDEN

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

Tried that one ... we have got MDAC 2.5 on it!

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote in message <3a131515$1_2@dnews>...
>Try installing MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) which you can
>download from www.microsoft.com/data. I believe that will install
everything
>you need.

>--
>Bill

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

> The problem is that we really don't want to install Access (since it is a
> server).
> It seems crazy to have to install MS Access just to be able to read a .mdb
> file.

I use Wise installer and with tha tool I can select to install DAO 3.5 and it
works good.

--
/Ola Ekelund
SoftConsult SWEDEN

Re:BDE to MSAccess Database

Try using only SQL Queries instead of tables, I found that by doing this I
could get better responses than with the Native Drivers!!

    Regards
        Jonathan

Stephen Pepper <stephen.pep...@REMOVEchh.co.nz> wrote in message

> Hi all
> I am having trouble linking to a MSAccess database through the BDE. I have
> tried via two methods:

> 1. Using the ODBC DSN that we have set up. This is extremely slow - in the
> vicinity of 3 minutes just to connect.

> 2. Using the native MSACCESS driver. I haven't been able to get this to go
> because the system did not have DAO3032.dll installed. As soon as I
managed
> to get that installed, it errored - msjter32.dll was missing. Normally I
> would just stick a copy of MSaccess on and be done with it but in this
> situation the system that will be running the application is a server -
NT4.

> Regretfully, my knowledge of microsoft databases is minimal (we use
> Interbase whenever we have the choice - this db was written by some
> half-arsed contractor and now we are stuck with it) and I imagine these
> questions to be pretty basic.

> So, what is the normal process for installing the required libraries onto
> system to be able to use this native driver. Or, is there a better way of
> doing it?

> Thanks
> Stephen Pepper

Other Threads