Higher table level required

Hello,

I have an application written with C++Builder 5 that uses several
Paradox tables.  The installation routine for the app was written with
the version of InstallShield Express that came bundled with Builder.

I've installed the app on several machines where it runs without
problems.  On some other machines, however, the app will not load and an
error message saying "Higher table level required" is displayed.

Can someone please tell me what causes this error and how to go about
fixing it.

Thanks,

Patrick J.

Re:Higher table level required

That error occurs when you try to add a feature to a table that the current
table level does not support. An example is trying to add a descending
secondary index to a  level 5 table. The best way to avoid this problem is
to change the default table level setting in BDE Administrator to 7 so that
all tables you create will support all features.

--
Bill

Re:Higher table level required

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your answer.  I suspected the problem had something to do
with the BDE.

The table level setting on the computer where I wrote my app and on the
machines where the program runs is 7.  On one of the computers where the
program doesn't run Quattro Pro version 5.0 is installed; the table
level setting on this machine is 4.

If I modify my install routine to assign a value of 7 to the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borland\...\PARADOX\TABLE CREATE\LEVEL will
this fix the problem on machines where other versions of Borland
products may be present (I would prefer that my users not have to set
the table level in the BDE Administrator themselves).  Will changing the
table level setting to a higher value have a negative impact when the
user runs Quattro Pro.

Thanks again,

Patrick J.

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote:
> That error occurs when you try to add a feature to a table that the current
> table level does not support. An example is trying to add a descending
> secondary index to a  level 5 table. The best way to avoid this problem is
> to change the default table level setting in BDE Administrator to 7 so that
> all tables you create will support all features.

> --
> Bill
> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)

Re:Higher table level required

Changing the default table level to 7 will not cause any compatibility
problem with any other application. Changing the registry key will work as
long as none of your users have the Win 3.1 compatibility option on the the
BDE Administrator. If you want to protect against this the only safe way to
change the table level is by using DbiOpenCfgInfoList per the examples at
www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex .

--
Bill