Using DTS, SQL Server 2000

Hello,

I have exported some company data from ACT and fixed it up in Excel so that
i would not blow up during the import using DTS. My problem is that now that
i have all the data shaped and formatted correctly i cannot import due to
the index field of the table being imported upon. It is an integer field
with Identity Column true. This is supposed to be an autogenerating number.
When i run the DTS i get an error saying i am trying to INSERT Null data
into the column. I have tried tweaking the VB Script on the transformations
tab. I have ensured column mappings are correct. I have checked and
unchecked the 'Enable Identity Insert' checkbox. Any ideas on how to get
this data into SQL Server? I have gotten one helluva headache from this
already.

Thanks,

Brian Hollister

Re:Using DTS, SQL Server 2000

If you run MS SQL Profiler while the DTS package is executing, what does the
SQL insert statement look like?

--

Alain Quesnel
alainqsanss...@compuserve.com

"Brian Hollister" <bhollisterATfuturaintlDOTcom> wrote in message

> Hello,

> I have exported some company data from ACT and fixed it up in Excel so
that
> i would not blow up during the import using DTS. My problem is that now
that
> i have all the data shaped and formatted correctly i cannot import due to
> the index field of the table being imported upon. It is an integer field
> with Identity Column true. This is supposed to be an autogenerating
number.
> When i run the DTS i get an error saying i am trying to INSERT Null data
> into the column. I have tried tweaking the VB Script on the
transformations
> tab. I have ensured column mappings are correct. I have checked and
> unchecked the 'Enable Identity Insert' checkbox. Any ideas on how to get
> this data into SQL Server? I have gotten one helluva headache from this
> already.

> Thanks,

> Brian Hollister

Re:Using DTS, SQL Server 2000

Alain,

I went ahead and did some more manual fixing to the file and got it in
there. But thanks anyway.

sincerely,

brian

"Alain Quesnel" <alainqsanss...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> If you run MS SQL Profiler while the DTS package is executing, what does
the
> SQL insert statement look like?

> --

> Alain Quesnel
> alainqsanss...@compuserve.com

> "Brian Hollister" <bhollisterATfuturaintlDOTcom> wrote in message
> > Hello,

> > I have exported some company data from ACT and fixed it up in Excel so
> that
> > i would not blow up during the import using DTS. My problem is that now
> that
> > i have all the data shaped and formatted correctly i cannot import due
> > the index field of the table being imported upon. It is an integer field
> > with Identity Column true. This is supposed to be an autogenerating
> number.
> > When i run the DTS i get an error saying i am trying to INSERT Null data
> > into the column. I have tried tweaking the VB Script on the
> transformations
> > tab. I have ensured column mappings are correct. I have checked and
> > unchecked the 'Enable Identity Insert' checkbox. Any ideas on how to get
> > this data into SQL Server? I have gotten one helluva headache from this
> > already.

> > Thanks,

> > Brian Hollister

Other Threads