Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

Hi all

I have found a very big problem with a D4 application using Paradox tables.
The program runs 24 hours every day, and the client seldom closes it.
Last Week the computer restarted suddenly, due to a brief power
interruption, and after Win98 Startup and after executing the program, the
client found they have lost several days of data!!!

I have reproduced the sequence, introducing several records and I have
pressed the PC reset button while the program was idle (to avoid file
corruption). Know what? The records recently introduced were lost. I checked
if the records were in the paradox table with DbExplorer (without closing
the program), and they were ok.

Could someone give me some hint on who is deleting this records from the
table? As you can imagine, my client is slightly upset, so am I.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
M.Sebares

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

The Data wasn't written to the Database, that's why you lost all the data, even
though you posted the info, it wasn't written. This happnes, if you closed the
program beforem it would have been written to the database the reason being, I
forgot where, but there's a switch in the BDE that baiscly means that when you
post the Data it automatically get's written to the Database, instead of it
being stored in MEM.....

I hope that helped, i'll try to find out which option,  try to set local share
to true.

I.S

M. Sebares wrote:
> Hi all

> I have found a very big problem with a D4 application using Paradox tables.
> The program runs 24 hours every day, and the client seldom closes it.
> Last Week the computer restarted suddenly, due to a brief power
> interruption, and after Win98 Startup and after executing the program, the
> client found they have lost several days of data!!!

> I have reproduced the sequence, introducing several records and I have
> pressed the PC reset button while the program was idle (to avoid file
> corruption). Know what? The records recently introduced were lost. I checked
> if the records were in the paradox table with DbExplorer (without closing
> the program), and they were ok.

> Could someone give me some hint on who is deleting this records from the
> table? As you can imagine, my client is slightly upset, so am I.

> Thanks in advance for any help given.
> M.Sebares

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

You can avoid this problem by setting LocalShare=True in the BDE Admin
program. This can also be done by code.

M. Sebares wrote:

> Hi all

> I have reproduced the sequence, introducing several records and I have
> pressed the PC reset button while the program was idle (to avoid file
> corruption). Know what? The records recently introduced were lost. I checked
> if the records were in the paradox table with DbExplorer (without closing
> the program), and they were ok.

You didn't mention, but I quess this was not a multiuser network app?

If it _is_ network app, and you can see the new data also from the other
workstations, and it still vanishes after power down, then there really
is a big problem. That would mean BDE some way tampers the good data
that was already written on the server's hard disk.

To empty your caches to disk, first try turning LocalShare=True, so it
will flush the BDE buffer to disk as soon as possible. And if it was
a multi user app, check very carefully the NetFileDir -settings.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

I believe you need to call DbiSavechanges after each record is added and
saved by the program.

There are other posts listed in this newsgroup that detail the full story.

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

Set Local Share to True in the BDE Administrator to prevent the BDE from
caching writes.

Bill

--
Bill Todd

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

Hi Bill, could you tell me how to set Local Share to True by code? I do not
find any clue in Delphi Help system.

Thanks.

Bill Todd (TeamB) escribi en mensaje <776fe4$ic...@forums.borland.com>...

>Set Local Share to True in the BDE Administrator to prevent the BDE from
>caching writes.

>Bill

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

See the examples for DbiOpenCfgInfoList at
www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/bdeapiex.

Bill

--
Bill Todd

Re:Help! Paradox Database records LOST when PC reset

I may have missed something? Why don't you go to the BDE administrator,
Configuration tab, System INIT then set False to True for Local Share.
What reason do you have for doing this in code? (pardon my ignorance
here)

Jeannine Menger
PC Synergy

M. Sebares wrote:

> Hi Bill, could you tell me how to set Local Share to True by code? I do not
> find any clue in Delphi Help system.

> Thanks.

> Bill Todd (TeamB) escribi en mensaje <776fe4$ic...@forums.borland.com>...
> >Set Local Share to True in the BDE Administrator to prevent the BDE from
> >caching writes.

> >Bill

Other Threads