Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

I am seriously confused now. I just noticed that
Sun has a variation of their Solaris operating
system that runs on Intel processors. And Sun
plans to ship it with Gnome. It seems to run
any other Linux software.

But if Solaris has a functional operating system
that runs Linux software, that implies that Solaris
is an alternative to the various Linux distros.

Furthermore, doesn't that mean Kylix will run on it?
Does anybody know anything about the PC
version of Solaris?

Eric

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

Hey Eric, can you give a link to information about this?
Eric wrote:
>I just noticed that Sun has a variation of their Solaris operating system that runs on Intel processors. And Sun plans to ship it with Gnome. It seems to run any other Linux software.<

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

Well, I don't think that your conclusions are entirely right ...

Just because Gnome can be run on Solaris, that doesn't mean that Solaris can
run Linux applications.

AFAIK, Solaris does not have a binary emulation layer such as FreeBSD, on
which you can run native Linux software.

However, most Unices have a very similar system API, in that they strive to
be POSIX compliant. Additionally, most of them use an implementation of the
X Window System, which means that the low-level API for graphics stuff is
pretty much the same as well.

So your chances to port software from one Unix to another one without any
major rewrites is pretty good.

However, you have to take into consideration that Kylix is a _very_ big and
complex piece of software that deals a lot with low-level stuff. So it will
require Borland quite some time and work to get that beast running on
Solaris.

But, given how many people have indicated interest for running Kylix on
Solaris, I could imagine that Borland will do the port sooner or later.

Regards,

Jeremy

: "Jeremy M. Jancsary" <j...@humane-software.com> wrote:

>AFAIK, Solaris does not have a binary emulation layer such as FreeBSD, on
>which you can run native Linux software.

False. It has. lxrun.

--
Kylix is there!
  http://www.borland.com/kylix/

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

I am not from Borland but the answer is no.  Gnome does run on Linux as well
as other UNIX systems.  Yes, there is an intel version of Solaris, but that
has nothing to do with Kylix.  Kylix runs on Linux only, at least for now.

"James E. Presley" wrote:
>    Hey Eric, can you give a link to information about this?

Here is their latest press release. This is generic for Solaris,
but it mentions Solaris is available for both for Intel and Sparc.

http://www.sun.com/smi/press/sunflash/2001-02/sunflash.20010220.4.html

Here are their suggestions on porting from Windows NT to Solaris:
http://soldc.sun.com/ntmigration/index.html

You can download Solaris for free, or buy a CD of it.
Is it a version of Linux? It doesn't seem to be.
And it appears to be a fully functional system, not
a "in-development" system.

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

This is nothing extremely new, FreeBSD can run Linux binaries as well.
However, the Linux binary "emulation" layer really isn't emulation at all
because there is no emulator involved in the process. It's really just an
ABI implementation.
"Eric" <eric...@aol.com> wrote in message news:3A9F3C04.DA65A106@aol.com...
> I am seriously confused now. I just noticed that
> Sun has a variation of their Solaris operating
> system that runs on Intel processors. And Sun
> plans to ship it with Gnome. It seems to run
> any other Linux software.

> But if Solaris has a functional operating system
> that runs Linux software, that implies that Solaris
> is an alternative to the various Linux distros.

> Furthermore, doesn't that mean Kylix will run on it?

> Does anybody know anything about the PC
> version of Solaris?

> Eric

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

Solaris is not a version of Linux, it's been around for awhile (originally
called SunOS I believe). It forked off the BSD code base at some point, so
you could say it's a flavour of UNIX.

> You can download Solaris for free, or buy a CD of it.
> Is it a version of Linux? It doesn't seem to be.
> And it appears to be a fully functional system, not
> a "in-development" system.

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

Not necessarily true, as mentioned in other posts, you may be able to run
Kylix on other operating systems that support Linux binary "emulation".

"David Farrell-Garcia" <dav...@orcasoftware.com> wrote in message

> I am not from Borland but the answer is no.  Gnome does run on Linux as
well
> as other UNIX systems.  Yes, there is an intel version of Solaris, but
that
> has nothing to do with Kylix.  Kylix runs on Linux only, at least for now.

Re:Does Kylix run on the Sun Solaris for Intel PCs?

The discussion was not about emulation layers.  I can run Windows under
Linux as well but that is off topic

Spamuel <spam...@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:3a9fe1de_2@dnews...
> Not necessarily true, as mentioned in other posts, you may be able to run
> Kylix on other operating systems that support Linux binary "emulation".

> "David Farrell-Garcia" <dav...@orcasoftware.com> wrote in message
> > I am not from Borland but the answer is no.  Gnome does run on Linux as
> well
> > as other UNIX systems.  Yes, there is an intel version of Solaris, but
> that
> > has nothing to do with Kylix.  Kylix runs on Linux only, at least for
now.

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads