Record not found

Hi,
        I have, what appears to me to be, a silly problem. In Delphi 3.0  I set
a valid range on a TTable, and then set a key for that rnage in search
of a record. If the record doesn't exeist, I want to do one thing, and
if it does exist I want to do another thing. Simple right? And I've done
it a million times. Except that in Delphi 3.0 it seems to be reported as
an exception. Why is this? I don't care if it fails to gotokey, I just
want to react a certain way to the result. Any input would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.
--
                                                Lee Adams