Tiling images across RichEdit

Hi there!!

I have a BIG, BIG problem (and headache!).

I'm trying to tile an image across the back of a RichEdit Control but
haven't had any luck. I can tile an image quite easily across a form,
so I was wondering whether it's possible to make the background of a
Rich Edit control transparent so any underlying image can show through
(any text in the control will appear on top of the text). I know that
the Rich Edit control has a canvas property, but as a windowed
control, I'll need to access Windows API calls to manipulate this.
However, I still haven't been able to figure out how I can achieve
this (which API calls, if any), or even if it's possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?. Or perhaps someone could point me in the
right direction?"  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Yasser Hussein.