Guru Needed: Hotkey copies text from another app to clipboard

How, from within my Delphi application, can I copy selected text to the
clipboard from any other application including programs like Internet
Explorer or a child window in Outlook Express. Basically I want to be able
to press a globally assigned hotkey combination that will then take the
selected or highlighted text from the other application and have it placed
into the clipboard so my Delphi application can then manipulate the text
that was placed into the clipboard via the globally assigned hotkey? I've
tried, without success, to send the Ctrl + C key combination to the other
app via sndkey32.pas which emulates visual basics sendkey. It works in some
cases but not all. Outlook Express Child windows and IE being examples where
it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.