D5 and Upgrade from Win98 to Win2000

I am currently running fine with Delphi 5, several TurboPower products
(SysTools, Orpheus, ASync) and ReportPrinter Pro from Nevrona.

I want to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional.  I have read several
messages here with problems relating to Win2000 installs.  What problems
am I likely to encounter if I do an inplace upgrade as oppessed to
uninstalling Delphi, loading win2000 and then re-installing win2000.

I successfully upgraded my test machine from Win98 to Win2000 but it
doesn't have delphi on it.

What compatibility problems might me encountered with applications
developed with Delphi in Win2000 running on a Win98 machine?

thanks
Bill Plunkett

Re:D5 and Upgrade from Win98 to Win2000

Bill,
    Technically Delphi isn't support on Win2K.  I have installed Delphi on
Win2K a few times now and it installs just fine.  I have also written
applications on the Win2k platform, which ran fine on NT4 as well as 98...
however, this doesn't mean that all applications will port from Win2K
successfully.  It really depends on what you are doing.  Best advice is to
dive in and try it... if something breaks, fix it.

--
Kind Regards,
Justin

Re:D5 and Upgrade from Win98 to Win2000

Justin,
I have experienced that when installing D5 no components except frames
appear. So I have to install all Borland and Turbo Power components
manually. But now I have a chilling experience where an application runs
fine under W2k but after a while (when finished loading a large array -
Turbo Power StLArray) just abort under WNT4. Is the right action to go back
to W98?
Regards
Erik
Justin Swett (Borland) <jsw...@borland.com> wrote in message
> Bill,
>     Technically Delphi isn't support on Win2K.  I have installed Delphi on
> Win2K a few times now and it installs just fine.  I have also written
> applications on the Win2k platform, which ran fine on NT4 as well as 98...
> however, this doesn't mean that all applications will port from Win2K
> successfully.  It really depends on what you are doing.  Best advice is to
> dive in and try it... if something breaks, fix it.

> --
> Kind Regards,
> Justin
> Delphi Support

Re:D5 and Upgrade from Win98 to Win2000

I've been developing apps in D5 with Win2K for several months now and have
not
had any problems.  Something very, very important though, if you are
upgrading a laptop machine that runs on a corporate network, do the upgrade
at work with the machine logged into the network and set up your default
login id/password as the first user with full
administrator/user rights, then do your software installs.  You'll have
fewer problems with
your Delphi install if you do that.  Also, do a clean install of Win2k,
getting rid of all your
old Windows programs/dlls, etc. (unless you want a dual boot system).

Best regards,

kangelos

"Bill Plunkett" <bi...@plunkettphoto.com> wrote in message

> I am currently running fine with Delphi 5, several TurboPower products
> (SysTools, Orpheus, ASync) and ReportPrinter Pro from Nevrona.

> I want to upgrade to Windows 2000 Professional.  I have read several
> messages here with problems relating to Win2000 installs.  What problems
> am I likely to encounter if I do an inplace upgrade as oppessed to
> uninstalling Delphi, loading win2000 and then re-installing win2000.

> I successfully upgraded my test machine from Win98 to Win2000 but it
> doesn't have delphi on it.

> What compatibility problems might me encountered with applications
> developed with Delphi in Win2000 running on a Win98 machine?

> thanks
> Bill Plunkett

Other Threads