Board index » delphi » Backup Exec and backup of a .gdb file

Backup Exec and backup of a .gdb file

We are running Windows 2000 server, Backup Exec version 8.5, and Interbase 6
open source.

With no clients connected to the interbase server, we get this message in
backup exec's log file after a backup
"File "RECORDERS.GDB" in use - Backed up."

My question is this, why would the file be in use if no clients are
connected?  Should we take down the interbase server before performing a
backup?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

 

Re:Backup Exec and backup of a .gdb file


Quote
In article <3b3c898a_1@dnews>, Jeff Cope wrote:
> With no clients connected to the interbase server, we get this message in
> backup exec's log file after a backup
> "File "RECORDERS.GDB" in use - Backed up."

You should backup the .gdb file using gbak (it comes with InterBase) to a
gbk file and then have your backup exec back up that file.

Gbak -b -v mydatabse.gdb mybackup.gbk

hth

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Re:Backup Exec and backup of a .gdb file


Robert,

Is that the only way to successfully backup an interbase database?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote
"Robert Schieck" <rschi...@mers.com> wrote in message

news:VA.0000016d.04a510ac@mers.com...
Quote
> In article <3b3c898a_1@dnews>, Jeff Cope wrote:
> > With no clients connected to the interbase server, we get this message
in
> > backup exec's log file after a backup
> > "File "RECORDERS.GDB" in use - Backed up."

> You should backup the .gdb file using gbak (it comes with InterBase) to a
> gbk file and then have your backup exec back up that file.

> Gbak -b -v mydatabse.gdb mybackup.gbk

> hth

> Robert Schieck (TeamB)
> MER Systems Inc.
> Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine

http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

- Show quoted text -

Quote

Re:Backup Exec and backup of a .gdb file


Quote
In article <3b3c8b95$1_1@dnews>, Jeff Cope wrote:
> Is that the only way to successfully backup an interbase database?

If you kick all the users off of InterBase you generally can get a good
copy of the .gdb file.

You could use ibconsole to do the backup..

FYI, you can run gbak with all your users attached, it doesn't care and
it will get you a clean copy even if your users are beating up on the
database.

hth

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine
http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Re:Backup Exec and backup of a .gdb file


Quote
Jeff Cope wrote:
> With no clients connected to the interbase server, we get this message in
> backup exec's log file after a backup
> "File "RECORDERS.GDB" in use - Backed up."

> My question is this, why would the file be in use if no clients are
> connected?  Should we take down the interbase server before performing a
> backup?

   Hi, Jeff. Usually it mean garbage collection after last disconnect is not
finished and if you make file copy during this process it is possible both copy
and original will be damaged. My opinion the best is do it when IB server is
downed.
   As Robert said, most safe and comfortable is to use gbak. But it's better to
make control restore from .gbk to be shure - with some kinds of corruption in
original .gbk can be unrestorable.

Best regards.

Other Threads